Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Half Moon male betta from pet smart yesterday, he is in a 3.5gallon tank and has a plant and somewhere to hide, this is my third day with him. He wouldn't eat pellets and he won't eat flakes either, he is very active and acting normal he just seems to spit everything out and I'm worried about him. What do I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Don't worry! New bettas are finicky while settling in. Some eat right away, some don't. One of my males did not eat for seven days when I got him. Offer him a pellet twice a day, take it out if he doesn't eat it. Tempt him with frozen bloodworms if you are scared, but bettas are resilient. Fresh from the pet store, their stomachs are shrunken because they are hardley, if ever, fed. When does accept a pellet, offer another. Slowly build up his appetite until he is eating normally.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
While I've never personally experienced it, I know it's not entirely uncommon for newly purchased bettas to refuse food. It may be that he is still settling in, and is too stressed to have an interest in eating. I would only be concerned if he refuses to eat long enough that he starts losing condition. Otherwise it is likely just a matter of waiting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts