Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
How long has he been in his tank? If you just put him in there, he's probably just feeling a little overwhelmed in his new environment.

·
Registered
512 Posts
How did you acclimate him? And be more descriptive on the behavior? Did you condition the water? Where did you get him? He might just be stressed out, or needs to get used to his new environment. Can you post pictures?

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
It takes them a while to acclimate from a tiny cup to the spaciousness of an aquarium. He should be fine. And don't worry if he doesn't eat. Sometimes that takes a while, too.

What he's doing is perfectly normal.

And....Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree, his behavior sounds normal for a betta in a new setup. In addition to getting used to his new surroundings, he might just be a little on the shy end of the fishie personality spectrum lol. Although once he gets used to you as "magic feeder creature" he'll probably come out of his shell and maybe swim up to greet you!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Hey sruptex how is your betta doing?
How big is his tank?
How much water changes you doing?
Did you acclimate him to the new water temperature?

I want to give you my favorite link that i think have a lot of tips.
Also i am going to give you instructions on how to acclimate your betta to the new water temperature , it is very important . You don't want to shock him with that drastic water temp difference.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=2340898#post2340898

There are many ways to do a 100% water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
Note the temperature of the water.
Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min.
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
Gently release him into the tank.

2. can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree, his behavior sounds normal for a betta in a new setup. In addition to getting used to his new surroundings, he might just be a little on the shy end of the fishie personality spectrum lol. Although once he gets used to you as "magic feeder creature" he'll probably come out of his shell and maybe swim up to greet you!
"Magic Feeder Creature" I LOLed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.