Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!
As some of you may know, I just lost my Pavlov yesterday to Dropsy. I still don't know what caused it, and am hoping to do a necropsy on him with my Cell and Molecular Biology professor. Love you Pavlov, and I'm really gonna miss your quirkiness.
Here's Pavlov the day (or day after?) I 'rescued' him from my school's annual Psych study on aggressiveness (he was so little and scared!) in his temp tank (thank you roommate!)

My friends and I made a run to the LFS in order to pick up moss balls. Of course, we went right over to the betta section and an as-of-yet unnamed blue/green butterfly delta stole my heart. I carried him around for about 20 minutes, thinking of my sick Pavlov at home and how it didn't feel right to bring a new guy home so close to my Pav's passing (at that point I was pretty sure he wasn't gonna make it.) New guy didn't take his eyes off me the whole time.
My friend offered to keep him for me until Pav passed (it just didn't feel right, but this little guy was coming home with me.) At first I took her up on her offer, then decided to just set him up in my room using her spare kritter keeper.
Pav had deteriorated to the point where his eyes were completely clouded over and he was gasping for air, so after a LOT of consideration I ended up putting him down that night (and cried like a baby too).

This morning, I woke up and the first thing I saw was New Guy making a bubble nest. He made it on the end closest to me, and let me watch him make it for a good ten minutes. I'm so glad I brought him home with me.
Here's New Guy, possibly will be named Hamish (I've got a Sherlock theme going) or Checkers (his head is marbled and reminds me of a checker board)

And here's his wee little nest I got to wake up to (that he's now busily working on... he doesn't like the light. We'll work on that.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! I bought New Guy at my local LFS (PetSmart) and as of now he's still unnamed.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I think it's sweet that the new guy is bonding already! I'm sorry for your loss, but I think you did the right thing since Pav wasn't getting better. I like the name Checkers for your new boy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts