Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lots!
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I’d like to introduce my new little boy! He’s yet to be named - I just picked him up yesterday. He’s in a QT for a week or two so I can monitor him before introducing him to his new and beautiful home and tank mates. Fingers crossed they all get along! If not, I’ve got a back up plan (Archie’s former tank).

He’s a Galaxy Koi Candy Plakat! He’s SO sweet, energetic and just very very precious! Photos are a bit dark as I have no artificial light on him yet.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Tints and shades
Water lionfish Organism Fin Fish

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
He’s lovely!!!

I’m planning a 20 gallon tank and will be stocking it before I consider adding my king betta. He’s currently in his own tank and it will be available to move him back to if necessary.

I have a large “breeder box” that I can put him in for a little while to let everyone have a chance to investigate each other without having actual contact.

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,662 Posts
Congrats for the new baby! He's beautiful!!

·
Premium Member
Lots!
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He’s lovely!!!

I’m planning a 20 gallon tank and will be stocking it before I consider adding my king betta. He’s currently in his own tank and it will be available to move him back to if necessary.

I have a large “breeder box” that I can put him in for a little while to let everyone have a chance to investigate each other without having actual contact.
Hi! Thank you! What have you decided to stock it with? I have 10 Microdevario Kubotai with a few horned nerites. It’s a little iffy. A lot of what I read online says they make excellent tank mates but one of the guys that works down at my lfs said to really monitor them because the Kubotai can get nippy. 😠

Of course this was when I was buying the betta and the Kubotai were already in there. Soooo, we shall see. I will pull the new lil guy out immediately if things look or feel unsafe and luckily have the time to watch them carefully. And after a little remodeling over the next couple days, Archies (my betta that recently passed) former tank will be ready if need be once QT is over.

I’m curious if you or anyone on the forum have ever put Kubotai in with a betta? Or vice versa? He’ll look so pretty in the new tank. It’s very planted and there are plenty of hiding spots but we’ll see. Fingers crossed 🤞! Do you have a pic of your king betta?! I saw a HUGE one at my LFS the other day! He was was so pretty!

Here’s a pic of some of
Plant Plant community Vertebrate Terrestrial plant Organism
the little green darlings!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi! Thank you! What have you decided to stock it with? I have 10 Microdevario Kubotai with a few horned nerites. It’s a little iffy. A lot of what I read online says they make excellent tank mates but one of the guys that works down at my lfs said to really monitor them because the Kubotai can get nippy. 😠

Of course this was when I was buying the betta and the Kubotai were already in there. Soooo, we shall see. I will pull the new lil guy out immediately if things look or feel unsafe and luckily have the time to watch them carefully. And after a little remodeling over the next couple days, Archies (my betta that recently passed) former tank will be ready if need be once QT is over.

I’m curious if you or anyone on the forum have ever put Kubotai in with a betta? Or vice versa? He’ll look so pretty in the new tank. It’s very planted and there are plenty of hiding spots but we’ll see. Fingers crossed 🤞! Do you have a pic of your king betta?! I saw a HUGE one at my LFS the other day! He was was so pretty!

Here’s a pic of some of View attachment 1043689 the little green darlings!
I had actually never heard of kubotai but they sure are pretty!

They seem to a species of rasbora and some people have luck keeping other small rasboras with a betta. I think with any fish it mainly depends on the temperament of the individual fish. I think I’ve heard it recommended to have larger numbers of the schooling fish so they feel less stressed? But don’t quote me on that!

Since your beautiful boy is a plaket, he should be able to avoid being nipped. Plus, I think your kubotai should feel safer with a group of 10.

I’m still undecided on what fish I’ll do in my community tank. Probably black neon tetras? They’re a bit larger than regular neon tetras which I have to keep in mind with a larger betta. And maybe a school of cory catfish or something on the bottom. It’s all still up in the air right now.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had actually never heard of kubotai but they sure are pretty!

They seem to a species of rasbora and some people have luck keeping other small rasboras with a betta. I think with any fish it mainly depends on the temperament of the individual fish. I think I’ve heard it recommended to have larger numbers of the schooling fish so they feel less stressed? But don’t quote me on that!

Since your beautiful boy is a plaket, he should be able to avoid being nipped. Plus, I think your kubotai should feel safer with a group of 10.

I’m still undecided on what fish I’ll do in my community tank. Probably black neon tetras? They’re a bit larger than regular neon tetras which I have to keep in mind with a larger betta. And maybe a school of cory catfish or something on the bottom. It’s all still up in the air right now.
Hi! Yes, they are probably better know as Green Neon Rasbora, I just like using the fancy name! I feel so smart saying it! Jk 😆 I heard the same about the schooling number and 8-10 was the recommended amount or obviously anything higher as long as the tank can handle the bio load. I can’t imagine the new boy’s temperament being anything but calm and sweet BUT you never know!

Thank you! I think he’s so beautiful too. And such a little joy. Wow, the black neon tetras are gorgeous! They’d make any tank look amazing. I love the Cory Catfish. I don’t have any but they are so adorable and any of course, will help keep the tank tidy. Always a bonus! Keep me posted! This is my first experience with tiny fish and they really are beautiful watch. It can be hypnotic at times. I could just stare at them all day.

Good luck with what you decide on! I’m excited to see those black neon tetras!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts