Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
]Hey, I got a new red veiltail betta today. He looks and acts perfectly healthy, kinda like a puppy being brought home for the first time. But there is one thing that is bothering me. He hasn't flared at me or anything yet. When I got my crowntail 3 years ago, he was flaring a lot. At food, at his reflection, and sometimes at me. He doesn't do it a lot now because he is kinda old, but my new betta hasn't flared yet. Is it because something is wrong or because he is just a sweet fish?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Latter option.

I've had males that flare almost on command. I've had males that need a mirror. I've had males that doesn't care about mirrors but would flare up a storm with another male. I've had males whose tank I can put side by side with another male no problem, but once they see a female it's a whole 'nother story. I've had females that only flare to other females. I've had females that don't flare at all. You name it. Each one is unique.

Note: and no, I don't have a hundred fish in the house nor have I been doing this thing for a whole century. I just foster :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
He is probably just adjusting to his new environment. I would shut his light off and cover the tank with a towel to give him some time to adjust.
Some fish, just dont flare its not their personality, my marble boy rarely flares while my eehm does quite a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I was reading about bettas flaring and remembering my other one doing it and I was wondering why this one hasn't. He does have an extremely long attention span though. he held my eyes without swimming away for almost 45 seconds.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm sure there's nothing wrong. My Kirito was the same when I brought him home 6 days ago, he flared for the first time 2 days ago, and he occasionally does it at food. He's not much of a flare-er.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why does it matter? I see this a lot. Yes it shows off their colors,but really a happy relaxed fish, especially one who holds eye contact sounds great to me! I guess flaring is exercise?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think it's just his personality :p. Two of my boys only flare at other male bettas, and the only thing Alabaster has ever flared at was a tube of lipstick sitting next to his tank.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Most of mine didn't flare the first day. I have one that still won't flare (granted he's blind). And another of mine used to flare like nuts and now he rarely does but he's almost 2 years old now. (He's roughly 1 year and 6.5 months old)

·
Registered
105 Posts
]Hey, I got a new red veiltail betta today. He looks and acts perfectly healthy, kinda like a puppy being brought home for the first time. But there is one thing that is bothering me. He hasn't flared at me or anything yet. When I got my crowntail 3 years ago, he was flaring a lot. At food, at his reflection, and sometimes at me. He doesn't do it a lot now because he is kinda old, but my new betta hasn't flared yet. Is it because something is wrong or because he is just a sweet fish?
My boys don't flare at all and I think it is because they have a calm environment. My rose tail was very hostile and would flare at his reflection on the tank wall. When I did a 100% water change, I sprayed the outside with a spray paint for glass that makes it blurry. This helped reduce the reflection. I sprayed the sides and the back and he stopped flaring. I did this because I was concerned he would become to stressed.
I don't think I have ever had my boys flare at me. I think my rose tail has been the only one to flare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts