Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
sorry if my english will be not perfect, Im not a native.
I adopted a male betta one week ago, previous owner kept him in 63gallon tank with Pterophyllum fishes. I don't have any further info about his conditions. As I got him the bubbles were pretty smal, after 4 days they got bigger and I think are more :( Please help, I don't want him to suffer if it is something serious, cancer or sth

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? - 8
Does it have a filter? - yes (Aquael Pat Mini)
Does it have a heater? - yes
What temperature is your tank? - 28 °C // 82.4 °F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - no, CO2 is delivered using an air stone, I have various plants
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? - Neocaridina shrimps, quite a lot of them as they ere breeding readily

Food:
What food brand do you use? - Naturefood Supreme Kristall - S
Do you feed flakes or pellets? - it's soft (I gave him couple Hikari pellets for betta but he got bloated)
Freeze-dried? - dried
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? - every two days a little amount as I got ground worms, which he eats

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? - I don't know about the previous owner; I change every week
What percentage of water did you change? - 30%
What is the source of your water? - tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? - I vacuum the areas not covered with plants/stones
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? - none, just CO2, I just bought Terminalia liquid from Flower Fish but not yet used

Water Parameters:
2 days after water change. I have only testing stripes PRO JBL AQUATEST, I will try to read them as exactly as I can.
Since the shripms are healthy and breeding I assume no red flags

Ammonia: unknown
Nitrite: around 0,5mg /l ppm
Nitrate: around 25mg/l ppm
pH: around 7
Hardness (GH): [>7 >125]
Alkalinity (KH): [6 107]

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? - the day I got him
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? - at first they were quite small (2nd and 3rd picture), after around 4 days the bubbles got a little bigger and I guess there is more of them (1st picture)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? - since I have him for 7 days he got more confident in the tank for now
Is your Betta still eating? - yes, since I got him he hunts ground worms, maybe baby shrimps cause I have a lot of them
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? - not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? - I dont know
How long have you owned your Betta? - one week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? - it is my first betta but the facebook community BOJOWNIKI PL evaluated him as healthy by the pictures right after I got him (even with the bubbles, nobody could help)

·
Super Moderator
2,468 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It appears that he may have a cyst or tumor on his fins (if it looks more like fluid filled mass, I'd say cyst). There could be a number of causes for this but I think the first remedy is to start by ensuring the environment is as healthy as possible. If you can house him in a separate tank for a few days, go ahead.
Up his water changes to twice a weeks and try to get as much of the debris out as possible.
Feed him every day, just enough until his tummy is slightly rounded (and if you notice he will slightly lose interest in food). If he's prone to bloating, feed him smaller amounts two to three times a day.

As long as he's swimming and active, keep an eye on the growth. Often times if the cyst is benign, they burst or just drop off the fins and sometimes they regrow, sometimes not.
If he starts to take a turn for the worse, we can look at antibiotics, but without knowing for sure, it's just a shot in the dark so hence it is why we're not starting with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts