Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello! My name is Diana and I recently walked into a Petco and picked up my betta. I call him Prince. Now before I show pictures and justify what is going on in his world. I want to first tell the story. Sunday (March - 30) I went to get my nails done, as glamerous as that sounds. I failed to do this. The nail salon was indeed closed! So my friend and I decieded that there were other things to do. Petco happened to be right across the street and I happen to just love animals, so we were destined to go. I walk into Petco and head straight for the fish. Stopping along the way to notice a specific betta, one that was white, rough, and sick. I spoke to the associate and explained that I was very interested in the betta and wanted to know the price. Turns out, the little bugger wasn't cheap and wasn't to expensive. The associate looks at the rough betta I have, and explains to me that it might not be a good option to buy him. 'He looks as if he might die.' I ask him to please hold the fish, because I have other things I'd like to get for him.

Yes, I know he was dying. I have been around all animals for most of my life! So I have an idea of when an animal doesn't look it's best. Yes, the fish had bacteria growing on it completely no back fin, for a halfmoon betta - this is not good. The associate continues to attempt to help kill the fish, by putting to much medicine into his little, what would you call it - plastic hole. Shocking the betta. He comes to me, as I'm picking out aquatic plants, and explains that I should choose another betta. Furious as I am, I stomp over to my betta. Determinded to help this fish. I take the top off of the plastic death trap and stick my finger in the container aggiating him. Talking to him like a crazy person in the store - I am sure I received looks. I just want to see him move, if he moves - I'll take him. Not moving at first, Prince allows me to rub on him. Shocker huh? So I keep rubbing and rubbing and rubbing. He finally moves. I look at the assoicate and I simple say; "I'm buying him now if you could please take these aquatic plants out of your tank, I'd be glad to be on my way." Running out of time, I felt like getting Prince home was the only way this was going to work. So I headed home with my dying fish.

I arrive at home. Set on my journey of accomplishing this task. I set my tank up. Get the water temperature perfect, plant in tank, filter ready, and light checked off my list. Added medicine (only half the dose recommended) and put Prince in. I watched him stay completely still. Then he investigates. Seeming to do a complete u turn on me; I decided I was going to document his journey from nothing to beauty. This is my way of starting his story.

WELCOME TO MY PRINCE'S LIFE!

I hope you enjoy the process.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 1

#Day1 of #transformation.

#Prince being difficult. Can't seem to enjoy his food at all. Flakea and pelts aren't working for him. Though I captured this photo with him almost getting the flake; he turns around to spit it out. You can see the fin rot on the back of his tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 3

#Day3 of #transformation

#Prince seems to notice me and my camera. It's as if he doesn't mind me being nosey and capturing pictures of him. I've noticed the more my face is close to his aquarium, the more he comes around to look back at me. He doesn't look so grumpy and sick. Though I must say I have cleaned his tank, added new water, and more medicine. Still some bacteria noticeable but clearing up slowly. I took two photos on #Day3. #Prince was being very photogenic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Wow, what a lucky guy to have you to care for him, its awesome how much hes colored up already. I cant wait to see how he turns out :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, what a lucky guy to have you to care for him, its awesome how much hes colored up already. I cant wait to see how he turns out :)
Thank you so much! I'm glad you noticed the change too. I feared it might just be me hoping for him to get better.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I know how you feel, when you see your betta every day its hard to notice the differences :)
And his fins are starting to look better from what I can see

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know how you feel, when you see your betta every day its hard to notice the differences :)
And his fins are starting to look better from what I can see
Awesome! I am curious to see how long it actually takes for him to start regrowing his fins. I'm hoping the bacteria hasn't completely destroyed him.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 4

#Day4 of #transformation

#Prince is constantly darting from me. Making it a challenge to capture his fins. Finally resting for a minute he gives me two opportunities to snag a photo. Thanks buddy! Still some bacteria. However his mobility is off the chart. This is the first time I am seeing him really be able to move around without struggling at times.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That's good news that he is starting to swim better :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's good news that he is starting to swim better :)
Yes he is. I came home to check him out, which I have been pumped up about all day. For him to dart all over the place. But as I sit here doing my school work on the side of his tank; he just seems to want to float and watch me. It's interesting how these little buggers work. They me aggressive with other fish but they are fascinated by humans.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yes he is. I came home to check him out, which I have been pumped up about all day. For him to dart all over the place. But as I sit here doing my school work on the side of his tank; he just seems to want to float and watch me. It's interesting how these little buggers work. They me aggressive with other fish but they are fascinated by humans.
I agree, its amazing to see their little personalities ;)
In the case of my females when ever I come to the tank the first thing they think is "is the food lady giving us food!" and they all come visit together where I am and will follow me if I move to the other side of the tank lol
Its cute that he watches you :) he must want to now how to do homework :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, its amazing to see their little personalities ;)
In the case of my females when ever I come to the tank the first thing they think is "is the food lady giving us food!" and they all come visit together where I am and will follow me if I move to the other side of the tank lol
Its cute that he watches you :) he must want to now how to do homework :lol:

How many females do you have? How were you able to get them to mingle with each other? I have never owned a female. I have always had males. But I do want to (later down the road) buy one. I would like to breed one day. I've been doing research on all of it and I think it would be a beautiful thing to experience. I already bread and raise my own guppies. However they are to feed my False Map Turtle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can not wait to get home and take Day 5 pictute of transformation. Also hoping to get off earlier to be able to go shopping for more aquatic plants after work. Anyone have any ideas? Looking for something that will grow quick, not to large, and has some color - like reds. Also wanted lots of leaves. If you have an known species of aquatic plant that you would say fits the description - please do not hesiate to post! :p

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
How many females do you have? How were you able to get them to mingle with each other? I have never owned a female. I have always had males. But I do want to (later down the road) buy one. I would like to breed one day. I've been doing research on all of it and I think it would be a beautiful thing to experience. I already bread and raise my own guppies. However they are to feed my False Map Turtle.
I have 10 females in a 40 gallon tank :). They live together in sorority. Usually sororities are hit and miss but luckily mine worked out. All of my girls are relatively docile to one another in betta terms :p Females are fun to have. They also have big personalities like males.
Just some extra info on sororities:
The minimum tank size is 10 gallons
Minimum of 4 bettas, the more the better but keep in mind the size of the tank
Tends to work best when they go into the tank young or siblings
They should be all put in at the same time so one doesn't think they have intruders on their territory.
You have to be prepared if they don't work or if one gets beat up to much or one is to aggressive or if it falls apart- always have a back up plan
Unfortunetly sororities are not a %100 definite thing and sometimes all the sudden your girls cant stand each other and can no longer live together
Lots of cover and hiding places so the girls can get away from each other if need be
Some fin nipping is to be expected when first starting out as they are astablishing rank

Hopefully this was helpful :p

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
What a noticeable difference even after that first day!

Bettas are such personable creatures! Having my two boys has shown me just how amazing these fish are!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oooo plants!

Went and got two more plants. The store did not have a wonderful selection but choose two that fit my taste. Also I was going for some hiding spots.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts