Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So my friend recently lost most of her fish and decided she wanted to go back to keeping a betta ;)

Knowing my obsession with my three babies, she had offered to give me her 10 gallon when her Molly passed. Well it did so a week ago and after a few talks with parents, lots of driving, and a couple hours of water and rock changing we have swapped successfully. This tank is super old tho, like probably 10 or more years according to her mom. There's calcium build up and the hood is filthy with some rust on the screws holding the metal to the lights in place.

So here's the plan! I'm gonna clean it up, replace the flourescent lights with some LED bulbs, get rid of the screws and rust, and make it good as new! Not to mention getting some more plants possibly and giving it more of a theme. Then at some point get a better stand if I can.

My Cories seem to be happier with the space than Sami... He's just kinda floating around at the moment like he doesn't know what to do haha!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone told me vinegar should do the trick. I'm going to try that first. The same person also told me to try a magic eraser so if the vinegar fails that's what I may do next. Bleach is a last resort for me

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Task 1-Hood

After about an hour or so scrubbing with warm vinegar water and a scratch pad, this is the cleanest I think this baby is gonna get. I had to constantly wipe the thing down before it dried to get the stuff off otherwise it would just dry back onto the plastic XD

Gotta say tho, it ain't perfect but it's one heck of an improvement!

Next up: tank glass

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not gonna lie, kinda forgot about this but I've been working hard on the tank and actually got most of the calcium crap off of the top of the glass, and even replaced the ugly yellow bulbs with leds which look amazing. I took out my bubble rock due to its curent being a lot stronger since there wasn't much to block it, and got a nice giant castle (which set me back 35 bucks holy shmeegle).

But now I have some white filmy stuff growing on everything. I kinda googled it but of course there's nothing of use XD

It kinda looks like an underwater cobweb and when my fish swim into it I feel bad because they do kind of a ninja spin like we do when we step into spider webs....

no pics for now I've not got the time to do my whole transfer garbage but I'll post some when I can to show you how pretty it's gotten. I also got new decor from a friend so I'm super happy about that.

Water change comes this thursday/friday along with a plant scrubbing because they need it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I enjoy finding the old tanks and cleaning them back up to give them new life. Some of my favorite tanks I have I inherited from others, just just needed some TLC.

Looks like your doing a good job getting it all cleaned up, keep us posted

As far as the white cobweb stuff I have no clue never seen anything like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I nearly made my friend's jaw drop when she saw what id done to it lol. Funny thing is, that build up has started on places in her new tank that i never had a problem with when we swapped. She's got a lot of hard water.

After some research, ive seen a lot of people say its a bacteria build up and that I should do a water change to clean it up. I've to to do one in the next few days so I'll pull out the decor and scrub it off and maybe that will help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.