Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
current pets: Kiwi and Avacado (parrotlets) many fishy, 3 doggos, Holly, Piper, and Mika
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 10-gallon tank was fully cycled, it even had a ramshorn snail in it.

then I found Detritus worms AND Planaria worms, so I cleaned out everything and changed the water, so have to start cycling it AGAIN smh

My question is, how did they get in there? there was no fish they could have gotten transferred from, and the plants had been in there for months.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Both plants and the snail could have been carrying Planaria. They are extremely sturdy in any aspect of their life cycle. Once you are able to spot them you usually already have quite a number in the tank.

If you continue with the same substrate, plants and decor you‘re very likely to still have them despite cleaning unless you haven‘t boiled the substrate/hardscape and used carbonated water plus rinsing for any live plants.
Detritus worms are ok. Planaria in a small amount and in a Betta only tank as well IMO.

Reactions: bettadreams869

·
Registered
6 Posts
Detritus worms always show up in my tank after a finished cycle. They are quite gross to look at but aren’t harmful at all. Doesn’t bother me much now. My betta would eat one or two off the glass occasionally but ignores them most of the time. My white clouds in another tank love to munch on them though. Free snacks I guess lol.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bettas will eat planarians. Some, as mentioned above, even pick at detritus worms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts