Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my 2 gallon jar out and had set everything up. While I was filling my tank with water, the thermometer fell and broke. the red tube was fine but a bunch of little black metal balls were ALL OVER the bottom of the jar!!!

Well I freaked and started filling it with water, called my mom to the kitchen to get a bag and hold it while I poured it all in.

Turns out it was just a bunch of tiny lead balls for weight purposes and that lead takes forever to leech into water. So I freaked out for nothing. =P

I feel bad for freaking out on my mom. <=/ Oh well! =P I'm just glad it wasn't mercury!!!

Yes I realize this is a solved problem but I figured this would save people some freak out time if they break their thermometer. =]

HOWEVER: IF YOUR THERMOMETER LIQUID IS A SILVERY COLOR AND THE BALLS ARE SHINY IT'S MERCURY AND YOU AND YOUR FISH ARE AT RISK IF IT'S BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah but you never know if someone ends up in possession of a really old unit. =] better safe than sorry I say when it comes to warnings! =]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts