Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to fish keeping, and this was my first fish. I bought a betta fish from petsmart two weeks ago. I bought one that looked very colorful and active. I put him in a 5 gallon tank, with a heater and a filter. I treated my tap water with declorinater and chemical remover first, and also used tetra safestart to help cycle the tank before adding my fish. I fed him 3 floating betta pellets twice a day as the directions stated. I had two silk plants and a small house in the tank, and natural colored gravel. I washed everything before adding it to the tank. The fish (Dudley) seemed happy and active for two weeks, then I noticed his color starting to fade and he was becoming lethargic. For the last few days, he would not eat at all. He died yesterday, and I don't know why. I really tried to take care of him and thought I was doing everything right. Can someone give me some advice as to what I could do better so I can keep healthy and happy betta fish? Thank you!

· Registered
6,559 Posts
Cycling takes a month to happen, nothing can do it for you. We'll teach you cycling later on, for now lets find out what happened to your betta. When did you do water changes? Did you test your water?

· Registered
478 Posts
According to Oldfishlady (a super moderator here)
1-4 gals should be cleaned Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method. Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

· Registered
6,559 Posts
The tank isn't really large... It's just ideal. Every tank that's not a NPT needs water changes weekly.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I was terribly misinformed then :( he did not have red gills, he just lost color in his fins and was lethargic. the temp was around 76 degrees, I bought a pre-set heater that said it would keep the temp 78 degrees, but it never got that high.

· Registered
6,559 Posts
Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry:

But... Do you think you're ready for a new fish? You'd want to cycle your tank first, but do you still want another betta? It might be too soon, or you just want to leave. But I have to tell you, if you take proper care of them, it's really rewarding.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do want another fish, but I will wait for my tank to cycle this time before I get another one. I really enjoyed watching and taking care of Dudley and want to try again. How should I go about cycling my tank properly? Also, is petsmart a good place to buy fish or should I find somewhere else? I really want to be successful with my fish this time.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link lexylex! Very helpful. And no, I did not use soap when I washed everything. Should I remove all of the water and rinse everything to clean it before trying to cycle then get a new fish since a fish died in there?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.