Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Yesterday I found my betta with 3 holes punctured through his dorsal fin. Today when I got here, his tail was ripped up, and the dorsal holes are bigger and more ragged. He's an only child, there is a mystery snail he rooms with but nobody else. I've had this problem before, but I had a weirdly aggressive loach that seemed to be the problem. (Yes, my betta is the cowardly lion of bettas.) I rehomed the loach and the injuries stopped, so I assumed problem solved. I use a rain down from the top filter because the bubble filter I started the tank with seemed to make too strong a current. I did put some decorative wood in the tank (recommended by the fish shop I frequent) and I just took that out today in case that's the problem. I don't know what that nerd is doing at night, and I'm not about to kink-shame, but I'm a little scared my fish is going to die of unknown causes. Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what he could be doing? I thought about setting up a night cam to watch his activity but 8 hours of screening that doesn't sound like the most fun I've ever had.
Thanks a million!

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,197 Posts
Hi I am sorry your baby is not feeling well! Can you please fill this out so everyone can give the best advice possible? Thank you and I hope we can figure out what is happening with your baby!

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 1 mystery snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes
Freeze-dried? - I give him occasional freeze dried brine shrimp as a treat
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day in the morning

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? I'd say 30%
What is the source of your water? local tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Just conditioner. Seachem

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? He's been experiencing ups and downs since I got him. At first I thought his damage was from a kuli loach who stalked him and started swimming into him when he realized Adamai wouldn't retaliate.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He looks like something is tearing his fins.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's resting a lot, not swimming much at all, only for feedings
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, at this time
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, we're using Paragard once a day to bolster his healing.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, just constantly looks like he lost a fight.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since Nov 2021
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No. Seemed very zoned out and unresponsive when I got him, but no physical damage. He responded very quickly to having a nice big tank.

I'll get to the photos and PH when I can

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Its seems like you're taking great care of your betta! I would guess his problem is related with the water parameters... Please, test for amonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph, NOT only for ph... photos would help a lot, too! Thanks ffor your time, and sorry for asking so many things from you!!

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its seems like you're taking great care of your betta! I would guess his problem is related with the water parameters... Please, test for amonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph, NOT only for ph... photos would help a lot, too! Thanks ffor your time, and sorry for asking so many things from you!!
His water parameters are perfect.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Could be this?
IMPORANT: Watch For These Disease Signs
I don't have many suggestions. I hope someone will be able to help you more with this... I hope the best for you and your little friend!

Reactions: reflections

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be this?
IMPORANT: Watch For These Disease Signs
I don't have many suggestions. I hope someone will be able to help you more with this... I hope the best for you and your little friend!
He's had this condition since Friday, so I don't believe it to be graphite disease. If it was he'd have been dead by Sunday. Also, that patch doesn't seem to be spreading significantly. We've been treating him with Paragard, to prevent any infections to the damaged scales.

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are water parameters? "Perfect" doesn't tell us what we need to know.

Please note, the linked disease usually kills within 12-24 hours. It is called Graphite Disease.
The water - PH is 7, no nitrites or ammonia. We change water once a week, take the water down about 1/3 and vacuum the substrate. His tank's temperature hasn't varied from 75 degrees since we got him in November. That's the data we have.

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
I totally missed temperature. You need to boost, slowly, until at around 78. While 75 is not lethal, it can stress their immune system and make them vulnerable to disease.

He actually appears to have fin rot. Can you get a photo of him from the side while he's swimming? And from above?

For now, take him off the Paraguard for at least 24 hours. Get SeaChem Kanaplex as it treats both gram negative and gram positive bacteria. Paraguard, if memory serves, only treats parasites and fungus. And if he's had a similar issue since you bought him it isn't working.

To heal wounds the best "medicine" is either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antifungal, antibacterial and calming properties. They can be used in connection with Kanaplex.

If floating a leaf or teabag doesn't achieve at least the tint below, brew a strong tea, condition and add to tank until color is achieved. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Sunlight

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I got the Kanaplex and have gotten his water up to temp. He didn't swim much today, pretty much to eat and then not as much as usual. I didn't have time to grab rooibos on my lunch and the tea I have is orange vanilla, so probably not super good. I got a couple pics, they aren't great. In the pictures that spot on his lower flank looks silver, but close up, they look peach, like the scales were scraped off. I am continuing to monitor, and I won't give up on him, but I'm thinking poor thing isn't going to make it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Has he perked up at all since the increase in temperature?

When I have an ailing fish I feed frozen Bloodworms. You could try those.

These are great fish but they can be more fragile than many allow. Sometimes they sicken and we never know why. In 55 years of owning them I've had any number than left me scratching my head and feeling guilty.

·
Registered
Adamai, marble betta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has he perked up at all since the increase in temperature?

When I have an ailing fish I feed frozen Bloodworms. You could try those.

These are great fish but they can be more fragile than many allow. Sometimes they sicken and we never know why. In 55 years of owning them I've had any number than left me scratching my head and feeling guilty.
He was lethargic most of today. I put the Seachem stuff in the water (after safely rehoming my snail for the moment) and I didn't notice any change until right before I left, and then he swam for the first time. He's my office fish so I don't see him at night, but I'm hoping tomorrow that improvement will still be there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts