Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and apologies for only coming on with the odd question. This story has been going on for a long time...since I set this tank up in fact. 50L, planted, perfect in every way the first inhabitants were 8 tetras and one in the distance; 5Blue velvet shrimp; and the most beautiful and peaceful galaxy Betta in the world. Sometime during the Betta's life, the one tetra in the distance died. I didn't give it much thought as this is completely stable tank in terms of parameters, changed 50% every week (like the others). Then in August my Betta became lethargic, no external signs of anything wrong, used aquarium salt, Melafix and pimafix but he continued to deteriorate until in the middle of September he died and the only thing I noticed after looking really closely was that his oral cavity and lips seemed somewhat swollen. He was only 1.5 yrs old. I put all the chemicals I could lay my hands on in the tank and in November I put one of his children in there. He had a little too much fun terrorising the tetras and the shrimp until towards the end of the holidays he started going down alongside one tetra and now they are both dead. I did consult a vet and he gave us a strong antibacterial 7-say treatment ultimately it didn't help. He was only 9 months old but he was of the runts but that is no reason. What is wrong with this tank?! What should I do with it? I am thinking columnaris but none of the fish display any of the symptoms? Watch my tetras die?! ...over a long period of time? and then what? Would the shrimp be carriers of whatever? They are doing very well so I can't exactly bomb the tank with substances (copper sulphate). I dare not put in another Betta. Appreciate any suggestions

Plant Vertebrate Water Fish supply Organism

p.s. that's not THE tank.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts