Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that my female betta fish has a lump on one side of its body. No behavior changes or anything at all, just the bump. I've looked around on this website and the internet and it's interesting to see that most bumps have appeared on the left side of betta fish, as did mine. I haven't fed her at all today in case it happens to be bloating, but I highly doubt that it is since it's on one side.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78*F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets & Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, about 5 pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes, everything was normal.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Only change in appearance is the bump
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed a bit
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A day ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment yet, just haven't fed her yet today in case it was bloating from food.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It could be a few things at this point. I'm going to rule out a tumor because of the sudden, dramatic appearance overnight. I'm thinking she might have a hollow cyst or a boil. It will start to look like a blister. If it is a hollow cyst it is caused by a bacterial infection just underneath the skin and is accumulating with pus. It needs to be treated with an antibiotic.

If by some chance it is a tumor there is no treatment. If this is a complication from another undetected illness and dropsy is setting in the treatment for the hollow cyst is the same.

Seachem Kanaplex would be your best option. It can be hard to find on short notice. Try a local fish store or online, the chains don't carry it. API EM Erythromycin may work and can be found at Petsmart if the Kanaplex is not available.

I suggest you do an in tank Epsom salt treatment, it will help relieve the build up of fluids.

If you are not sure how to do one...

Take a cup of water out of the tank. Add 1 Teaspoon per gallon of Epsom salt to the cup and allow it to dissolve. Slowly, over a period of 1/2 hour pour the ES mix back into the tank. Do your water changes as recommended, but remember to add 1 tsp. of ES back in for every gallon you remove. Epsom salt & Aquarium salt cannot be used together. So if you used it recently do a 100% water change to remove it before the ES treatment. This treatment is safe to do for up to 10 days.

Monthly water changes in a 2.5 gallon tank aren't quite enough. You should be doing 2-50% a week in a filtered 2.5 gallon tank. Are you testing your own water with a test kit or is a pet store doing it for you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I feel a little guilty because I'm wondering if the bump was forming even before I noticed it, I'm positive it wasn't there a week ago but I could be wrong since I've been pretty busy lately and haven't been as observant.

I'll go check the pet stores soon for salt and medication, there aren't that many big-name pet supply stores around here so hopefully the smaller ones will have Kanaplex.

And I have access to a kit that belongs to a friend, I don't own one myself. I'll keep that in mind though about the water changes, she used to be in a 1.5 gallon unfiltered tank and I was doing more water changes then, but I cut back when I got the bigger tank with a filter since I started school and had less time to do tank cleanings.

A few questions about the salt treatments: If the tank is using a carbon filter should I take that out, and are the salt treatments okay to do with Kanaplex? And should I be changing water every day while using salt?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You will be able to find ES at a hardware store, supermarket or drug store. You want plain Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), no perfumes or aloe.

It is OK to use the ES treatment with the Kanaplex. Take out the carbon in the filter. Carbon can be used later to remove the medication. You don't have to change the water everyday. Just follow the instructions on the Kanaplex as far as water changes go during treatment.

The dosage for Kanaplex is as follows,
DOSAGE: 500-750 mg per 20 gallons. Treat every 48 hours (24 hours for severe problems) with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat 3 times or up to 10 days in severe cases (with water changes immediately before each treatment).

Don't worry about replacing the ES when you take water out. It's not critical to do so at this point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clarification! I started using Epsom salt yesterday, I couldn't find kanaplex anywhere local so I ordered some online. So far I haven't noticed any changes today in behavior/the bump, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens in a few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I would post again with an update since it's been a few days... Sorry if I'm not supposed to double-post!

I added 1 tsp/gallon on the 11th, then on the 13th I did a 50% water change and added back some water with epsom salt. I noticed that the bump started to go down throughout the week. Now it's the 15th and I'm looking at my fish and the bump *appears* to be completely gone!

Should I continue with the salt treatment for a little bit longer? I guess I could stop and see if the bump returns, then do salt treatments again. I ordered Kanaplex in the mail that shouldn't be here for another week or two, but if it's gone for good I guess it will be nice to have on-hand for future use.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm very glad to see he is improving.

I think it would be best to discontinue the ES treatment and give him a break. ES treatments can be stressful so the sooner it's out of his system the better. Keep up on the water changes and keep an even closer eye on him. We can always go back to the ES as needed.

I'm happy the Kanaplex is on the way. It's a good thing to have in your first-aid kit. I'll be even happier if you never have to use it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's been a few weeks, and I've noticed that the bump has gradually come back. It doesn't look any different than the pictures I posted before, although it is perhaps slightly bigger now. Still no behavioral changes with my fish and I've been doing the more frequent water changes. Should I try the kanaplex to see if it helps??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts