Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
No I'm not? Lol, I'm being completely serious. It's a common thing for anime-tards to tell their non anime-tard friends to say just to make fun of them -_-

Anime-tard = psychotic japanese anime fan

·
Registered
163 Posts
No I'm not? Lol, I'm being completely serious. It's a common thing for anime-tards to tell their non anime-tard friends to say just to make fun of them -_-

Anime-tard = psychotic japanese anime fan
I always thought it was the crazed fans themselves saying it... Because it was cool or something? I have never heard anyone say it who didn't know very well what it meant. :roll:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Crazed fans think saying ANYTHING in Japanese is cool. A lot of them over-use "desu" which has no physical meaning other than being paired with "wa" which makes it "it is, i am, that is, etc."

I've heard some people say: OMG THAT'S SO KAWAII DESU

I want to punch them out.

Anyway, off topic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Crazed fans think saying ANYTHING in Japanese is cool. A lot of them over-use "desu" which has no physical meaning other than being paired with "wa" which makes it "it is, i am, that is, etc."

I've heard some people say: OMG THAT'S SO KAWAII DESU

Anyway, off topic.
Apologies for being off topic too.
The whole culture of fascination with Japan and Japanese is really quite interesting to me. It is something I am not at all exposed to, so it is a bit hard to imagine. :lol:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
These are ALL the kids taking Japanese courses at my school. =___= Then they all drop out after one semester...*sigh*
Well, thank god for that. I only had to handle them for a year. xD

·
Registered
163 Posts
These are ALL the kids taking Japanese courses at my school. =___= Then they all drop out after one semester...*sigh*
Well, thank god for that. I only had to handle them for a year. xD
Do they lose interest? Or is too hard for them? Or maybe they think they know enough after one semester...? I guess if it is just for novelty that would be enough to satisfy them.

It is kind of amazing how many schools seem to offer Japanese now. Years ago you never even heard it mentioned, and you would need to go somewhere specialty to study it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
A lot of them want to take it in hopes that they'll learn to be able to watch their favourite shows without subtitles and can be LEGITIMATELY JAPANESE OMG.

Then they realize that it is actually hard work, so they drop out, lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A lot of them want to take it in hopes that they'll learn to be able to watch their favourite shows without subtitles and can be LEGITIMATELY JAPANESE OMG.
And... That status is valued why? :lol: Japanese people are just... people... Are they not?
Everyone would be so much happier if they just worked to improve what they are instead of wishing they were someone else.

Then they realize that it is actually hard work, so they drop out, lol.
Don't you have to study foreign languages in school before this? They should realize that Japanese can't be any easier that any of the other languages out there to learn. :roll:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
And... That status is valued why? :lol: Japanese people are just... people... Are they not?
Everyone would be so much happier if they just worked to improve what they are instead of wishing they were someone else.
A lot of anime-fans hold the Japanese to God-like status. They're called Japanophiles, and in the more derogatory sense, "weeaboos". To them, every culture except Japanese culture is heathen-like and not worth experiencing. Many of these people dream to step foot on Japanese soil because of their crazed views on the country.

While yes every country is beautiful in it's own way, a lot of weeaboos think Japan is all about anime, samurai, and robots.

Don't you have to study foreign languages in school before this? They should realize that Japanese can't be any easier that any of the other languages out there to learn. :roll:
Japanese is generally not offered in highschool (in Canada anyway), we are only taught French. They think it will be easier because they believe that watching anime makes them SO JAPANESE OMG DESU~ so it should "come naturally" to them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Man..I almost worry about being stoned for my comment. :lol:

I fall into the group of people who became interested in Japanese culture after watching anime. In grade school and high school the only other languages I could take was french or Spanish and I never really liked either language. So, once in college I took a few Japanese lit courses, a Japanese fuedal error history class, and Japanese language for 3 semester here and one semester abroad in Nagoya, Japan. I brought Rosetta Stone to keep going until I hit full fluency, but I've been lazy about practicing lately. :oops:

So, yes there are some people who take Japanese language because they want to watch Bleach without subtiles. Some of use were never exposed to Japanese language or culture until they saw an episode of Fushigi Yuugi (Mysterious Play). I couldn't know I like Japanese language more than Spanish language until I heard someone speak Japanese, right? ;-)

Now to get back on topic, I can't right in katakana letters on my work computer. But I do know the Romanji for Katrina Adams is Katori-na Adamusu.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
@SnowySurface: I'm in the same boat as you. There is a CLEAR difference. I also love anime and it introduced me to Japanese culture. I took two religion courses, a culture class, language classes, and a history class. You and I are aware that Japanese culture =/= anime, gundams, weird things.

The people who drop out of first year Japanese? I see them going around telling their friends that they're fluent, lol.

They're the people screaming: WATASHI WA BAKA DESU at anime conventions. Telling cosplayers: OMG YOUR COSPLAY IS SO KAWAII DESU.

As for Katakana, here you go: カトリーナ・アダムス

·
Registered
163 Posts
No need to worry about being stoned.
The negativity is directed toward the people who are really like that, not assuming that everyone who studies Japanese is like that. There is a huge difference. :lol:

I think that the main exposure to Japanese in the west is through some kind of popular media - the most common being anime. Having that be what sparks the interest is fine, but having that be the entirety of the interest is kind of sad. Or rather, having that be the entire driving force behind learning anything at all about Japan or Japanese language.

It is people like that who make pretty much anyone who studies or says they know Japanese look bad. I have to go into extra detail online and add that I both live in Japan and work as a professional translator before anyone will believe that I really know Japanese and am not just saying I do because it is cool. (And even then, there is no shortage of anime fans willing to say I don't know anything because they found something somewhere that said they could say something in some specific way - that is totally wrong - and I call them on it.)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yay! I can take off my suit of armor now that I know no stones will be hurled at me. :D

To be honest, I would have taken more than 3 semesters before studing abroad for spring semester, but I was a chem major and my core classes happened at the same time as entry level Japanese for my first two years. I mean, seriously. Did general chem, inorganic chem, organic chem, pre cal, and entry level Japanese ALL have to be at 9AM on the same days? I'm a night owl. T_T

Oh, I also want to hug Bahamut285 for not "correcting" my name by removing the dash. I hate when I have to explain why a native Japanese speaker will think English name is spelled Katorina instead of Katrina if I don't add the imaginary i. XD

·
Registered
22 Posts
ooooooook since OP hasn't been online......

@Ninjabetta:

Jules-Satoshi -->   ジュールズ・サトシ (JUU RU ZU - SA TO SHI)
Angel -->  エンゼル (E N ZE RU) but the word for angel is てんし (TEN SHI) or 天使
Wei --> ウェイ (U EI)
Ember --> エンバー (E N BAA)

@Sheldon:

Leanne --> リアン (RI A N)

Cool, thank you so much!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts