Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am planning on going out very soon to get another betta! I am very excited and have been a while for this day to arrive! Only problem is, I am terrible at naming things lol. I looked at the naming forums on this site and it has been quite awhile since there has been a naming forum so I am hoping that you guys will be able to suggest names !! Thanks

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, Atlantis, & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, Blush, and Crystal.
1,133 Posts
Attilla, Indie, Miyamoto, Peppy, Spike, Zipper, Finn, Chester, Scout, Yuan, Sushi, Apollo, Iris, Coral, Anastasia, etc. Just a "few" names. XD

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, congratulations on your new fin friend! These are a few names that could be used for male or female.

Wonder
Finally
Rejoice
Fintastic
Thrill
Await
Glee
Sep short for September
Radiant
Lively
Spirit

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So today is the day I got the fish! I was going to get 1 male but ended up going for two females! One is reddish orange and the other is a blurry green with stripes of black. I am slowly going to build a sorority together. I am currently acclimating them. Any female names? I like food names and ocean themed names as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, if you do not mind my asking, what is the size of your tank? A sorority can not be done gradually as two females simply can not live together long term and for many short term can cause serious damage as well. A sorority is typically a group of 4-5 girls minimum put together all at the same time in a tank large enough for them to claim territory and heavily planted so you can not see the back of the tank looking in.

If your tank is under 10 gallons a sorority is not even an option. If it is 10 gallons I would not recommend it either. I feel a 20 long is a good minimum although would not recommend a sorority to someone at all.

I would suggest dividing the tank immediately or putting one of the girls in their own tank if you happen to have a spare with a heater and filter.

A sorority comes with many challenges and I would not recommend it for several reasons one of those being it can stress the females to a point of disease even if everything is done right setup wise.

Congratulations on the new girls, they are very pretty anyways! I just hope you will reconsider the sorority as although they can work out sometimes, you never know what will happen and you have to have proper homes as backups for the girls which can become costly as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The stripes on the bluish/ green betta are called stress stripes. The new environment and other girl can cause this for sure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tank is a long ten gallon, I will separate the two girls immediately. They were in a tank with skirt tetras and 3 other girls all of which had stress stripes. I had figured that they had arrived in a new shipment as they had just gotten new bettas in. I have had a sorority in the past with a 5 gallon and they always got along. Will they be okay with the cardinal tetras? The man at the store said the female bettas are quite peaceful with others. He also said I could put danios with them. He looked new. Sorry slightly panicking over here. Please help me make sure I haven’t just killed two beautiful girls. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, Atlantis, & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, Blush, and Crystal.
1,133 Posts
The reddish one looks like a coral! :love: They are so pretty! I agree with @Animals15, they should be separated immediately. I have a sorority of 4 females in a 20 gallon and that comes with a lot of research. Beautiful girls, though!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I will do so, immediately. I actually decided on the names awhile ago. The reddish orange one is coral and the blueish green one I am thinking about naming pearl.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am currently in the process trying to look for a divider, Pearls stripes are fading really fast and her colour is returning. Should I still separate?

·
Registered
363 Posts
They are beautiful! Yes, you should probably still separate them. Even if they are not showing stress stripes having them together is a risk. You might want to do a little researching through the forum for information on sororities. If you do a search, you'll pull up a lot of information. Important tips to a successful sorority is a great place to start.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I was doing my research and my two bettas are very young. They are quite small and are the same size as my cardinal tetras. They seemed to get along in the tank at the store, and the stress marks were from moving tanks as they were a new shipment. I will continue to monitor them very closely and get a divider ASAP. I have another tank I can set up for the other if it doesn’t go well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So, I was doing my research and my two bettas are very young. They are quite small and are the same size as my cardinal tetras. They seemed to get along in the tank at the store, and the stress marks were from moving tanks as they were a new shipment. I will continue to monitor them very closely and get a divider ASAP. I have another tank I can set up for the other if it doesn’t go well.
Sounds like a plan! Keep us posted on how these ladies do! I'm excited to see them in their full colors.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would name the orange one Sunkist or Crush.....but both are quite young (in my opinion) to name. I like to wait until 6-7 mos to name them unless their personality shows early. Good Luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! They seem to have come out of their shells a bit more and hiding less today. Their colour is brighter and the stress stripe seems to have faded a bit. When they came to me they looked like they had been nipping their fins and had a few war wounds. How long will it take for them to be fully settled in?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts