Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought I could make a thread about this. I haven't seen one yet, and I'm always one for firsts! :lol:

A lot of people have difficulties naming their new pet Betta. Maybe they don't know what to "look" for when naming them, i.e their personality, colours etc. Or maybe they just lack imagination! :lol:

So, what do you look for when naming a Betta fish? :roll:

- Personality.

Names that depict their personality include:

Shy:
  • Casper
  • Ghost
  • Whisper
  • Daisy
  • etc etc
  • Omega
  • Shadow
  • Yuuta (Japanese for distant)

Angry/Aggressive:
  • Alpha
  • Brutus
  • Fantasma
  • Husker
  • Jaws
  • Jericho
  • Kaida (Little dragon)

Graceful/Friendly:
  • Angel
  • Feather
  • Jasmine
  • Honoka (Harmony in Japanese)
  • etc etc

If you are looking to name your Betta after their personality, you would choose a name that "fits" under that category.

E.G - An aggressive Betta would have a masculine name, such as "Bully" or "Spike". A shy Betta - "Casper" or "Ghost". A friendly Betta - "Angel" or "Grace" etc. Each personality generally depicts a masculine or femininity.

- Colours.

A lot Betta owners like to name their Betta after their colours. Names and colours could include:

Red -
  • Red
  • Lava
  • Flame/Flames
  • Cherry
  • Love (or 'Ai' in Japanese)
  • Akane (Deep red in Japanese)
  • Ruby
  • Whero (Red in Te Reo)
  • Aka (Red in Japanese)
  • Rot (red in Deutsche)
  • красный (Red in Russian)

Blue -
  • Sky
  • Kikorangi (Blue in Te Reo)
  • ao (Blue in Japanese)
  • синий (Blue in Russian)
  • blau (Blue in Deutsche)
  • dunkel-blau (Dark Blue in Deutsche)

Green -
  • Emerald
  • Leaf
  • Kakariki (Green in Te Reo)
  • Maota (Light green in Te Reo)
  • Midori (Green in Japanese)
  • Kimidori (Light green in Japanese)
  • grün (Green in Deutsche)
  • türkis (Turquoise in Deutsche)
  • зелёный (Green in Russian)
  • голубой (Light blue in Russian)

Purple/pink -
  • Tawa (Purple in Te Reo)
  • Poroporo (Purple in Te Reo)
  • Mawhero (Pink in Te Reo)
  • Murasaki (Purple in Japanese)
  • Momorio (Pink in Japanese)
  • Rosa (Pink in Deutsche)
  • Violett (Violet in Deutsche)
  • Lila (Lillac/Mauve in Deutsche)
  • розовый (Pink in Russian)
  • фиолетовый (Purple in Russian)
  • Grape
  • Barney

For marbled or multi-coloured Betta, there is endless possibilities :roll:

• Spot
  • Marble
  • Stripy
  • Picasso
  • Donnie

Also, a lot of owners like to name their Betta after icons, role-models, family members, artists etc!

Key things to help you for when naming your Betta:

-Colour
-Personality
-Fin Type
-Time you begun ownership
-Things you like

That is all from me for now! Sorry if this doesn't make sense at all. :roll:;-)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Lots of ideas here! I've thought of "Lotus" for a pink fish because lotus flowers are pink, or Winter for a white fish... Stella for a very pretty and elegant female. :) I'm in the process of creating a long list of possible names for my sorority!

·
Registered
610 Posts
When I'm naming my fish I usually wait a few days & their names kind of come naturally for me.

I named Goblin when I was talking to him and he was being a little booger, so I called him a little Goblin.
My other names kind of stuck with the G letter. Golem is a black CT, and whenever I think of a Golem I think of a stone golem. So he is kinda like a stone.
My moss balls were just 2 more G words. Gremlin and Gargoyle. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all :)

I was going to write more names, but I ran out of time! I have *lots* of ideas, just not enough time to write them!

@AyalaCookiejar - Be sure to post your names up here! I'm sure we would all LOVE love love to see them :)

@xjenuhfur - I love the names you've chosen! They are too cute! And I agree, some names just "come naturally" with a with! It's almost as if they're destined to me called it!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Nevermind, I think I found my name. Behindthename almost immediately gave me the perfect name for my female who has been awaiting her name. She shall be Akane. It is the name of a character from a comic that I love and it also means deep red. Akane is a red female, so it fits. :-D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great thread. I usually don't name fish unless they have personality. I have several large aquariums but only few names

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I name mine. I think fish deserve names just like dogs and cats usually get names. However, I had a cat once that my boyfriends little brother and his mom named Rocky but I called him kitty... They named him that because we found him in a big pile of rocks but I just didn't think the name fit him, so I usually called him kitty or Balboa. Everyone knew who I was talking about when I said "my kitty" haha.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The naming process is usually what determine which fish I'll take home. I'll look over the shelf, be pulled to a specific betta, look at them straight on and I know their name. My years as a fictional writer (hobby only) finally pay off xD.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The naming process is usually what determine which fish I'll take home. I'll look over the shelf, be pulled to a specific betta, look at them straight on and I know their name. My years as a fictional writer (hobby only) finally pay off xD.
Not to go OT. But I was majoring in English because I wanted to become a writer. Still write but changed it to psychology. I usually name them off the wall names as you see in my sig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When ever I think of a name i always try to make it ironic or funny. :) Such as my betta i called him mushu. In china Mushu is a dish, and fish is a food. So mushu fish:) kinda silly but I like it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've had three. First was a turquoise one named...wait for it- Turk. Then my second one was more of a royal blue, and I called him... Azul (Spanish for blue). Our current one, he is red cambodian, and I initially considered carrying on the color-inspired theme with Carmine, Adama, or Rojo, but I noticed his coloring really reminded me of a sci-fi show character I love, so Ka D'Argo he is!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Betta is named Spider. :D

Well, his name is actually Shane, because it just seemed to fit, but I later realized he was a little spider, haha. (Cashier dropped him on the floor when she was putting him in a bag!) Spider is more of a nickname. Plus he has a poster of Spider-man above his tank.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cute. Is he the Betta in your signature? If so, he has basically the colours of Spider-man! I love his nickname! Also, where did you get your signature picture from?!

And sigh. Some fish store workers can be so reckless... I seen one drop FOUR fish one after the other once. -_-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, that's him. :3
Red, with navy/baby blue scales. Hehe, he was peachy brown when I bought him, so I had no idea he'd match Spider-man so well. xD

I drew the picture myself, on Photoshop, because my phones takes crappy pictures and doesn't capture his pretty scales. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.