Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is Dumbo. Rescued from Petco. After a few weeks, he was still there, and didn't look like anyone cared to add water since i'd first spotted him (No one even put him on the display shelf! Not once in 3 weeks?!?? Come on.)

Anyways, what bothers me is that I can't decide if his red patches are his natural coloration or due to the poor conditions he was in for atleast 3 weeks.

He s very active.
He doesn't act sick at all and my tank levels are fine. I'm religious to water changes. I have 12 tanks , the biggest being a 55 for my girls. I work alot so the 2 days outta the week i have off... are dedicated to my fish, ( 9 males, 10 females. Two females are quarantined and have been for some time. Rose has dropsy, and Lil' girl has inflammation on her egg spot. Rose was sick when I adopted her from a friend. Its too late for best treatment. She had the pine cone look already. But shes a fighter! This is day 20. Lil girl should be ok in a week or two.....dang im rambling. Getting back to Dumbo...

Anyone have an opinion on his red patches? Is it natural? Or ammonia scaring?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have a boy with lighter coloration with spots like that. I have spent many a feeding session eyeballing his sides just in case but they seem to be just how his scales came in, if you look from the top he practically has a brown mane running down his back.

If i was to guess i would say your own boy has the same scale depth, I cannot see any bald patches or regrowing spots, just a healthy sheen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks to you both! Ive been thinking about breeding him, but wanted to be sure he is up to par. Alot of peepz have told me not to breed bettas from a "LFS" aka PetCo. But I had an amazing turn out with the CT pair I bought from petco. But this year im finding a female from a reputable breeder.

Anyways, thanks again! (This site is more helpful and trustworthy than google)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts