Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I had a co-worker that worked in the office with me for about a year. During that time he gave me a Betta fish as a gift. I never had fish before so this was new to me but I was grateful to have his guidance. He educated me on how to take care of him and how often to do water changes etc. He also had 3 Betta fish of his own that he brought in and I assisted him in caring for them as well. Unfortunately he got fired and left the fish behind. Now I am taking care of all of them and I'm really not interested in keeping them all. I would like to find someone who will take them from me and take good care of them, not just anyone. I will also give them the tanks and all the other Betta supplies I was left with. There's 2 males currently in a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider in the middle. They are active and appear pretty healthy. I also have a female that lives in a 1 gallon tank and she too is very active and healthy. I do not know how old they are. How do I go about finding them a good home?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I can do that but like I said - I don't just want anyone to take them. That's why I joined this forum. I'm guessing that most people on this forum are experienced with caring for Betta fish. I'm hoping someone here will be interested because I feel a sense of responsibility for them.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
I was thinking you would know those in your office or office building who would be suitable owners and people you know. Craig's list as a last resort.

I would also advise you only give the Betta and equipment to those you know. Sadly, free fish can be seen as disposable. Charge $25 and donate the $$ to a favorite charity. This way, you aren't profiting.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will put a post on Craig's List as a last resort. Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with profiting from the sale of the fish, especially if it attracts a more serious caretaker for the fish. Giving a living creature as a gift on the other hand.. I could almost understand pawning off a responsibility to a better person but I will never understand why people think its ok to give an animal as a gift to someone who didn't specifically ask for it and hasn't already demonstrated the ability to care for it.

That is not meant as a criticism against you, those fish are lucky your friend picked someone with a sense of responsibility to drop them on. <<snip>> It would be best if you could sell the fish to a serious buyer and be compensated for your troubles, failing that a responsible person willing to take them for free would be the next best thing.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Burlington, MA

I hear several people talk about facebook groups. I would guess there are some that are betta specific and you might be able to find someone that would absolutely appreciate everything you're offering. That might also give you a chnce to browse their posts in the group to see how they care for their bettas etc.

I hope this helps. I'm just throwing ideas out 😊 !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aren't you being a little harsh? The poor guy lost his job. His life was in turmoil. The fish were far from the first thing on his mind.
Maybe I am, I just don't think a live animal is a good gift except when certain conditions are met, animals aren't trinkets or office decorations, they are living creatures and they are a responsibility.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your suggestions. I did leave a post on the Boston Aquarium forum (TY Russell) and I will review some more aquarium clubs in the area (TY Fatblonde). In the meantime, I am doing my best to care for the Bettas and I won't abandon them. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If no one has suggested it yet, try the aquaswap thread on reddit! Just make sure to follow the rules for posting.
Good luck rehoming them!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.