Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my very first Betta yesterday and I forgot to buy a hide, he is in just a temporary bowl until the one I ordered arrives. I got one of my old medicine bottles and cut off the end and sanded it then I washed it with soap and water and then rinsed it for a few minutes. My question is, will it hurt him?

·
Registered
462 Posts
As long as you rinsed it really good, i see no problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you so much
Also do they get stressed and don't eat a lot after they're moved from the pet store bowl to their home?

·
Registered
462 Posts
They have to get used to their new enviroment and as long as he is eating, he is okay, just don't over feed him.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Make sure you did rinse it extremely well. Even a tiny amount of soap residue can be harmful.

In future, avoid washing with soap. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks!! I really appreciate the help
Is there a better cleaning solution to use or just rinse really well?

·
Registered
462 Posts
For decorations and stuff like that i use tap water treated with a good dechlorinator.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If you are cleaning to get rid of disease or something, 19 parts water to one part bleach, followed by a buttload of rinsing. :) Another method is nine parts water to one part white vinegar. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you know If you're over feeding him?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I just feed all my fish 2 pellets in moning and 2 at night. You will know if he starts to get a large stomach. He could become bloated..or fat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
One good rule of thumb is to remember that their stomach is the size of their eyeball. On the typical betta, only 1-2 pellets would fit in their eyeball. Feed accordingly.

Your betta can also live without a hidey until his bigger tank comes in. I would hesitate to put anything soap-washed in there, regardless of how long you rinsed it for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay that's great to know, thank you. But he isn't eating at all this morning so I changed his was and stuff. Could he still be adjusting? I got him early evening on Saturday

·
Registered
329 Posts
My Nebula took a week before he ate...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They tank is about 74 degrees. And sometimes he will eat and sometimes not :/

·
Registered
354 Posts
i only had one fussy eater, he hated those extra small pellets (I only had those), but once i gave him a bigger one he ate it. maybe try a different food. or have you already? but like other people above me said, he could still be adjusting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts