Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new here and I have a question. I recently got a betta fish for the first time in a while. I don't have a filtered or heated tank, only a 1.5 gallon bowl. I realize that it was pretty stupid of me to buy one when I don't even have the right materials :blueworry:
So, I really want to buy the proper tank for my fish. I've heard that they need at least a 5 gallon tank. The problem is that I can't buy one right now, I really don't have enough money. I would have to wait for a while to buy the tank and all the things I have to put in it.
Right now I have my fish in a 1.5 gallon bowl with a cave, fake plant, and one live plant. (And those flat marbles)
What should I do? Will my fish be okay until I can buy him a tank? I'm really worried because I'm afraid I may not be able to buy him a tank very soon. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you can't spring for a five gallon. Can you spring for a 2.5 gallon? A small sponge filter and air pump and a small heater?

2.5 gallons is minimum for bettas

If you can't, just keep up on the water changes every two to three days and he'll be fine. Spring for some Prime by seachem, it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can't spring for a five gallon. Can you spring for a 2.5 gallon? A small sponge filter and air pump and a small heater?

2.5 gallons is minimum for bettas

If you can't, just keep up on the water changes every two to three days and he'll be fine. Spring for some Prime by seachem, it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites.
Thank you! Do you have any filters that you recommend? I'm on a really tight budget. And does the tank have to have a top or can I leave it open?

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wouldn't leave the lid open, bettas are known to be jumpers. If you don't have top, you can just cover it with something. Sponge filters are a really good option to look at. I would say a heater is more important than a filter (for the time being anyway). Having a filter just basically means you don't need to do quite as many water changes imo. That doesn't mean you should slack off on doing pwcs though (partial water changes). I think a starter kits would be a good option to consider investing in. Petsmart and Petco have them for different tank sizes. They include some of the main pieces in a aquarium (an aquarium with a lid, a filter, lights, water conditioner samples, fish food samples). If you did get a starter kit that included a filter, then you would just need the heater. Personally, I don't have either of those stores near me. Walmart has a 5 gallon starter kit (with the stuff I mentioned minus the heater) for around $30. From what I have read, it's not a bad setup and I've considered buying one (I don't have room for any more tanks though). :(

Besides Prime, I would also recommend a water test kit. Petsmart and Petco do it for free but you need to make sure you ask for the actual numbers, not just "fine". API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what a lot of us use. It is pricey but it's a heck of a lot more accurate and you can do way more tests than test strips. Test strips are notoriously known for being inaccurate. Amazon usually has them for around $20 including shipping.

Edit: Forgot to mention be careful of those marbles. Some people have had their bettas get stuck in them and they can't get out. They ending up passing away. Just something to watch out for.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
What is your budget? That would help point you in the right direction. PetSmart has a 2.5 w/lid for $15.00; PetCo has a 5.5 in-store-only for the same price but with no lid. You can use plastic wrap with holes punched in it or craft mesh to form a lid.

You can get a filter, hose and Fusion pump for around $13.00 here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19779

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28052

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8046+18996&pcatid=18996

Two-Way Gang Valve:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19780

·
Registered
542 Posts
There are so many options out there once people realized how it all worked. Good advice given so far and you can do it on a limited budget ;) next step is up to you

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
A lid is a must. Bettas are notorious jumpers. He'll be ok in the 1.5 temporarily but as soon as you can get him into something bigger do so.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Your betta will be fine while you save up and gather supplies. I recommend buying Seachem Prime first, a heater second.

Heck you don't even need a real tank if money is super tight. A critter keeper or plastic storage tote does the job in a pinch. You can get a 3 gallon critter keeper for about $8 online and storage containers are always going on sale in store. I saw a 10 gallon container on sale for $5 last week. Check out the King of DIY on youtube. He has tons and tons of diy filters.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think it might have been me he was giving flack to--"If you can't take care of a fish the right way, don't get one". But with goldfish, they use container ponds all of the time and in many cases the container is a better option for goldfish than an aquarium, and this would just be a much smaller container pond, so I can't see how it wouldn't be a valid option for a betta.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts