Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got another betta....I'm addicted!! He's currently living in a one gallon that I had laying around... My other betta has a 2.5 gallon Aqueon mini bow, but I have been reading a lot on the forums about how you don't really need a filter if it's only 2.5 gallons.

So my question is...do I get another Aqueon mini bow? Or if a filter isn't *really* necessary, do I just get a critter keeper that is inexpensive?

I have a heater and a thermometer, so that's not an issue. I just want my new little guy to be happy. My other betta LOVES his 2.5 gallon, and doesn't have a problem with the filter (it really doesn't move the water around enough to disturb him).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I got another betta....I'm addicted!! He's currently living in a one gallon that I had laying around... My other betta has a 2.5 gallon Aqueon mini bow, but I have been reading a lot on the forums about how you don't really need a filter if it's only 2.5 gallons.

So my question is...do I get another Aqueon mini bow? Or if a filter isn't *really* necessary, do I just get a critter keeper that is inexpensive?

I have a heater and a thermometer, so that's not an issue. I just want my new little guy to be happy. My other betta LOVES his 2.5 gallon, and doesn't have a problem with the filter (it really doesn't move the water around enough to disturb him).
Well, if you're not going to get the Aqueon Mini Bow, getting a Kritter Keeper doesn't seem like a bad choice, it's inexpensive. To be honest you'll be doing the same amount of water changes with the Kritter Keeper, one 50% water change and one 100% change to maintain water quality.

I find that filters in smaller tanks don't help as much. D:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. It sure is something to think about.

I've been doing 50% changes 2x a week for my betta in the 2.5 gallon with filter. Should I be doing a 100% change?

If I have to do the same amount of changes I may as well go with the critter keeper if it's less expensive...especially if I can get a bigger one for him!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did the same thing a few weeks ago and my first guy was in the mini bow and he loves it. Plus a simple bulb replacement and you can grow about anything. But with the second I got those 2.5g rectangle standard size with the glass lid for 14 bucks. At this point I wish I just got a another mini bow. I don like having a desk lamp for lighting and prefer the all in one systems.

Another thing could be to split a 5g and cycle it. The reason I didn't do this is bc I had bought the mini bow months before, but a 5g would be around the same price if not cheaper than the 40 buck mini bow

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
hmmm. It sure is something to think about.

I've been doing 50% changes 2x a week for my betta in the 2.5 gallon with filter. Should I be doing a 100% change?

If I have to do the same amount of changes I may as well go with the critter keeper if it's less expensive...especially if I can get a bigger one for him!
Well 50% changes 2x a week seems okay, because the reason we do a 100% change is to remove any poop, uneaten food, etc that's laying on the substrate, unless you have a gravel vacuum, then that's fine.

Kritter Keeper is a excellent choice, a lot of members here have some, I'm planning to get one soon when I find another Betta to get. The only problem is that Kritter Keeper doesn't come with a light, which is the thing I find annoying.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
2 50% changes is fine if you have a filter - the 100% change is for people without. :)

It's down to personal preference - do you prefer the 50% changes? Do you like the Minibow? Personally, I like filters, and prefer the look of 'real' tanks to Kritter Keepers. :) Neither are bad - what suits you better?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.