Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My office has a fish named WebEx that most people treat with amusement but lately it has gotten sick and its breaking my heart - I am a fish lover. I don't have total control of the tank/care situation since it's not my fish but I could use some advice so that I can try to influence the owner.

The top fin started getting discolored and bubbly looking more than two months ago and has gotten progressively worse. On one side, the discoloration continues down onto the body a bit. I have looked at pictures of fin rot but this doesn't seem to match, although I'm not an expert at all. It looks more to me like some kind of an ulcer or infection.
WebEx has seemed happy and unperturbed by the sick fin until today when he hung out at the top of his tank all day and gulped more than normal. The water was pretty murky - the owner said that he had changed it on Friday (4 days ago) but it looked pretty bad for 4 days. He also has been medicating the water with Melafix and I think he did that on Friday also. The tank is 3/4 gal (I have lost the battle for a larger tank as it is an office fish and they say there are "rules" and it wouldn't be manageable...) and water changes are done with filtered water that is left out for 24 hrs for the chlorine to volatilize off. I know that he doesn't really measure when he adds the medicine, he just adds some number of drops, maybe 10ish. He also does it straight to the tank and I have told him that it absolutely should be diluted first. Several weeks ago he was also treating with BettaFix, same methods. I don't believe he has ever put both Mela and Betta Fix in at the same time thank goodness.
About two weeks ago, he was on vacation so I took the opportunity to do more frequent (2x/week) water changes and added aquarium salt in hopes that would help WebEx self-heal, however no change.

I'll really appreciate suggestions from anyone that recognizes this condition. I clearly am dealing with constraints beyond my control but I want to do the best I can for this adorable fish. THANK YOU!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! im very sorry about your betta fish :( since i don't know your fish to well i would simply put some aquarium salt and do many water changes and hope for the best (p.s i wouldn't use melafix or betta fix they are both very powerful and sometimes fatal to bettas but if you must use only about two drops.

lots of love,
beautifulbettas54321

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Hi, unfortunately that fish has fin cysts. Fairly common and untreatable. The cyst will likely fall off in time and it may leave a hole. In that time, you can use a preventative measure of salt ( 1 tsp per 5 gallons. You can do the math for that tank >.< I'm too tired) and nothing more. Using salt long term at 1 tsp per gal is destructive and can cause kidney failure. But low dosages will actually help the kidney's. We do the same thing for humans (low dosage for helping kidney, too much causes failure).

And a note that MelaFix and BettaFix are not powerful at all, it's the fact that most people misuse them. These -Fix meds are actually just antiseptics and nothing more. Aquarium salt is better than that and healthier if you just use the preventative dose. No one should just throw a medication in the tank and hope it works. Proper ID'ing and diagnosing need to come first.

And good on you friend for looking out for the fish. Cysts are usually not fatal unless they are pressing against a vital organ, here it is not so he should live just fine. He just won't be "pretty".

Also, please, next time you need help, please please please pretty please fill out this form like we ask: http://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-f...-out-form-so-we-can-best-help-your-betta.html

·
Registered
187 Posts
The tank is 3/4 gal (I have lost the battle for a larger tank as it is an office fish and they say there are "rules" and it wouldn't be manageable...) and water changes are done with filtered water that is left out for 24 hrs for the chlorine to volatilize off.
Please do fill out the form for diagnosis, it really does help.

On a side note, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that water is treated with chloramine now, which doesn't off-gas. He should really be using a water conditioner, and my strong recommendation is Seachem Prime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All, Thanks for the feedback so far! Sorry, I'm a noob and didn't know about the form, I filled it out below. Today's update is that WebEx is still chilling at the top of the tank. Immediately after
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? between 0.75 and 1gal
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? Room temp - I'm guessing mid 70's
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Elive Betta Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Floating Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 times per day, once in the morning (~8AM and once at the end of the workday ~5PM)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 100% except water in one 6oz cup the fish is kept in during the change. Last water change done 9/20/16.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Remove plastic plants, ceramic log, and seashell and rub/rinse under running water. Jostle the stones and rinse multiple times under running water. Drain and rinse with water that has been left out for 24 h/sometimes that has had conditioning drops put in I think and then fill with more of that water and add back décor and fish.
What additives do you use? API Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner but not consistently. Did use it as well as Aquarium Salt in water change on 9/20/16.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Water is not tested : (

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Over 2 months ago but not sure exactly how long
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Top fin became discolored and bubbly and discoloration has spread slightly onto body on one side.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Behavior mostly normal until yesterday and today when fish spent more time hanging out in the plant at the surface than normal. Usually hangs out in or behind log.
Is your Betta still eating? Haven’t seen him eat in last two days. Was eating last week.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Coworker has most recently been adding unknown amount (some number of drops) of Melafix directly to the tank (no dilution arghhhh) and previously has done the same with BetaFix. Two weeks ago I treated water with appropriate amount of dissolved aquarium salt but no change noticed.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? This betta has been in the office tank for around 2 years I believe. Healthy looking other than this fin issue.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
BettaFix and MelaFix are the same things. BettaFix is just a more diluted version of it. Also, you can add medication directly to the tank, it doesn't hurt them at all.

But my diagnosis remains the same. It's a fin cyst and there isn't anything you can do about it other than make him comfortable which isn't exactly possible I understand. If you were able to, getting him a heater would be the easiest thing to do (with a glass thermometer from wal-mart). Aqueon makes a 10watt one that is okay, not the best but it works in a pinch. The 7 watt flat heaters are crap, don't bother buying those. But I also understand that he isn't yours as well, these are just suggestions if you are able to do them, otherwise, there isn't anything else you can do.

As I mentioned, cysts are usually not deadly unless they are near a vital organ which this one is not. But he's also very old for a Betta. He's already above the average age of living. 2 years is average for the regular VT's and he's 2 and a half. Most fish are 4-6 months of age when purchased so that makes him 2.5 years. If he does go, it's because it's his time and not due to the cyst at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts