Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday my betta, Hyun Su, was showing signs of columnaris (or that is at least what I think he has). I had been away from home for a week and 3 days so in that time I wasn't able to clean his tank so he was only regularly fed by my grandfather. So yesterday when I was feeding him I noticed a white fuzz on his left side and just like any other pet owner I panicked. I looked for hours to figure out what he had and how to treat him. Columnaris seemed like what he has so that night I went to go pick up Aquarium salt and fungal medicine. I did the treatment this morning and about 3 or 5 mins after putting him back into his tank he's not acting like himself at all. He's slamming his head into the pebbles and trying to bury his head in them. He's swimming weird too... I'm worried that maybe it's a bad reaction to the medicine. The picture below is how he's acting right now. It's hard to get a picture of the fuzz on his left side because he moves so much.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1 gallon
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 72F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon (pellets)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? I have both, but I use pellets more often
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once or twice a day. About 10 pellets.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I tried to do it once a week.
What percentage of water did you change? Sometimes 100% (which I found out was bad later on), but now I try to do 90% water changes.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I usually dump out the water and have my betta in a small container as I clean his tank.
What additives do you use? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters: Never tested

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins seem a little torn and just above his gill on the left side he has a small white fuzz on him. Now he is starting to get the fuzz on his mouth.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not wanting to eat as much (not like him at all) and he's trying to bury his head in the pebbles.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, but not as much.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes. Today I took him out of his tank and put 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt and 1 teaspoon of API Pimafix in his tank and then stirred it well before putting him back in.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? Exactly 1 year 6 months and 11 days. I bought him from Petsmart, because I usually hate seeing bettas in those small cups and it makes me sad. When I got him he was definitely a baby and he was the healthiest out of all the others from what I could tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ok some things to mention:
10 pellets a day (or 20 if twice a day) is wayy too much food. I feed 2-3 pellets in the morning and at night. Overfeeding can lead to a whole world of issues, especially in such a small tank.
1gal is quiet small for a betta, I would recommend at least 2.5gal.
Might want to bump up that heater a tad to about 76-82F. Betta are tropical fish, so their water needs to stay in that range for their metabolisms to function properly.

I can't see anything clearly from your picture, but, if it is in fact colmarius, it is a bacterial infection, not fungal. I know it looks fungal, but fungal meds won't help here. I would stick to the AQ salt for now, then you could try Kanaplex if the salt doesn't clear it up in about a week.

It looks like he is nosediving... that has never been a good sign in my experience. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh okay I was never quite sure how much to feed him. I was thinking about moving him up to a bigger tank I was just worried that he would get more stressed and that would end up making him even sicker. The heat has bumped up to 78F now so I'll make sure to keep him in that temp range.

Oh alright I wasn't sure if it was bacterial or fungal. The bottle says that it treats bacterial infections too. But I'm probably just going to stick with the AQ salt because I'm thinking that maybe he just had a bad reaction. He's getting progressively worse so I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst.

This is the best image I got so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting him a new tank tonight. Temporarily I have him in a smaller tank with completely new water and just nothing in it but his heater till I get the new one. At the moment he's staying at the surface and swimming against the glass slowly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: My betta is eating finally. I gave him 3 pellets. It was smart to trust my gut instinct and get him out of that medicated water. Before he wouldn't even respond if you put your finger against the glass near him (which isn't like him) but now he does. Let's hope that when I get him into his new tank and use AQ salt ONLY this time that his columnaris goes away.

This what I have him in temporarily and he seems quite happy.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.