Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this morning, my buddy King passed away after struggling with chronic fin rot for a while. I had treated him for it, with aquarium salt, water changes, and other recommended products with no luck. When I had my water tested, all the levels were fine (I took a picture of the test strip and looked it up at home just to make sure the people were telling the truth at the pet store.)

Now, I want to get another fish in the near future. I enjoy having a little companion in my college apartment and want to make sure my new guy is happy and healthy. How should I go about cleaning the tank? It is a 2.5 gallon aqueon LED bettabow. It is heated to 80 F and filtered. I'm going to use a new filter cartridge and let it cycle of course, but I need to clean fake plants. I have some extra nat. geo sand like substrate I can use for the new tank so I don't have to reuse that. What chemicals are safe for cleaning the tank, but also ensure that whatever bothered my last fish won't stick around and hurt my new guy? Also, I have a marimo moss ball in there. Should I toss it since I can't exactly clean it? Or is it safe?

Sorry this is a long post, I just want to make sure I take all of the necessary steps before getting my new guy in the future. Thank you!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts