Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry for the title, but I truly had no idea how to call this issue or how to sum it up.

Long story short:

1) Is the betta in the photos below just a very pretty female? Are stress stripes female-only?

2) What about betta fish that have a tumor? Is there anything infectious about such betta sharing water with other bettas? Does anything leak when the tumors break through?
Please help...

Long story long (I explain stuff if you want to read):

I have recently bought a 60L (15 gallon) tank, three bettas and crafted two dividers from plastic mesh (too bad black is unavailable in my entire country and amazon shipping is 15 dollars to Europe) and to worsen the visibility while keeping the flow, I wrapped the sheet in a black mosquito net. Now, I am 100% sure they cannot see through it. My heart tale on the left and my black orchid in the middle have not noticed each other once and I payed very close attention to the tank, especially after putting in my own dividers. They do not flare at each other, there's no change in their behavior if they both happen to swim by the divider, they absolutely do not know about each other, but immediately flare at a mirror. You can see them even very close to each other, waiting for food, but not knowing about each other at all.

But the issue is with the betta on the right. This is what "he" looked like the first few days.

Very bright red and blue, beautiful. This is from when the betta was still alone. Since I just bought the fish and there was a small nip in the tail, I wasn't sure whether the darkish ends were a natural coloring or just fin rot. I put the fish into a small quantine tank and treated it. The fins managed to rip a little more in the process, but the dark ends went away and only what seems natural remained. After 6 days of treatment, I put him the betta into a divided tank. I thought it was maybe only a case of a new enviroment, but no. The betta went very pale and all of his blue kind of formed two horizontal stripes, "stress tripes" as they call them. This was very weird to me since I thought it was a boy. It did not cross my mind that it could be a girl, at all. All I thought about betta females was "not as bright colors, not as long fins" and I guess that's far from the truth. I couldn't find anything online about stress stripes being also found in males, only as a behavior to signal whether females are afraid of the male or willing to mate.

My black orchid in the middle doesn't seem to notice her at all, but she seems to get stressed right away when in the same water as the males. I tried putting her back into the quarantine tank and she calmed down. I treated her to a stress guard, but right after putting her back the next day, stress stripes are back and almost all of the magnicifent color is gone.

I cannot keep her in the quarantine tank. It's only good for treatment isolation, it's very small and has no place for filter, nothing and I currenly have no money to set up an extra tank, not only that, there's really no more furtniture in my room that can support the weight of the water and that is close to a power outlet.

Now, I have another betta boy in his own tank. He's a giant and unfortunately, he has a tumor that is growing bigger and bigger. That is also why I bought more bettas, to distract myself when the time comes. The tumor itself is a tissue growth and I don't think it's infectious, but I don't know, maybe something would leak into the water when she scales rip apart or something... and that's why I'm asking...

Can I switch them up? The "female/ (I really don't know, is it a female?!) and the giant with a tumor. So that the giant could be with them in the shared water and the "female" alone ?

Please help me... I'm worried "she" can't take the stress much longer.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
You're fish looks like a male to me, and males can have stress stripes.

Tumors can be caused by a number of things including viruses. Because of that I'd not be putting your boy in the tank with the other bettas and would be treating him as if he has something infections and not share equipment between his tank and your other tank. https://www.petmd.com/fish/conditions/cancer/c_fi_Cancer_and_Tumors

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he is a male, then I don't get it. How does he get so stressed while the other two don't even pay each other attention? I'd maybe understand if the middle one flared at him, but he doesn't... The other two seem to be doing just fine.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Even if they cannot see each other, they can probably all sense each other through pheromones.

Each fish is an individual, this male seems a better candidate for solitary life. Being in a constant state of stress is only going to cause problems further down the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts