Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping someone here can identify it and has some idea on how to deal with it.

It is a 5g Fluval V Spec with a compressed co2 setup.

It started before I had the co2, I figured that would help resolve the issue, it has not.

My light cycle is 8am-1230pm then 2pm-430pm

Pics of the algae attached. It is real thin and it does not grow long like hair algae.

Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Your pictures aren't showing up for me. =(

·
Registered
653 Posts
I can't tell hat the pictures are focused on, but.
Is it dark green and thread like? If it is its called Thread. I had to deal with some of that a few years back. pluck it as best as you can. It loves iron, so watch the plant fertilizers.
Good new is you can control it by cuting back the iron in the tank, and by manually removing it. Make sure to never let it grow more then an inch. Your fish can get tangled in it, I lost one of my catfish that way.
The bad news is it is really hard to make it permanent. I took out all my fish, bleached everything, the tank, decor, filter, Everything. It took awhile, but it some grew back so now I have two thread stalks that I trim back biweekly. By controling the nitrite/nitrates and iron better I have kept the thread from taking over again. It grows very slowly now, but will grow very quickly if conditions are good for them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes, those links work! I don't know why Google photos has to be such a pain.

If you're referring to the white/light green hair-like bits, those don't look like any algae that I'm aware of. To me they sort of look like roots! Sorry I'm not more help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Maybe that's not what you are talking about, but the bright green stuff in the first picture looks to be flame moss, the more stringy one in the second picture looks like Java Moss.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Oh, OK, the pale green baby hair type stuff. Nope, I don't know what that is.

What I can tell you though, is that when I received my order of Java Moss (a small clump) there was a lot of similar baby hair type stuff on it. I assumed it was just very young growth. I got pretty annoyed at my platy fish I had at the time for eating it all. They left the more mature moss alone, so eventually it grew quite well.

I had wondered if this might be how the plant/moss propagates (if that is the right word). Since it is so fine a natural occurring current in a body of water would carry it off to a new place?

Sorry I can't be of help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cladophora is a branching, green filamentous alga, that forms a moss like structure. This algae doesn’t appear to be slimy. Threads are very strong and very thin. It grows on rocks and submersed wood exposed to direct light, in very bad cases will grow on plants also. Usually it tend to stay on one spot, which makes it easy to remove. Comb it and dose more CO2 and improve water circulation for better nutrient transport. In a case where Cladophora takes over the grassy plants, mow the plants like the lawn. No algae eater is known to eat this kind of algae.
Does this sound like your deal? It could also be staghorn algae but the bright green colour makes me think otherwise. I'm not super knowledgeable about algae types so someone else may be able to clarify.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh, OK, the pale green baby hair type stuff. Nope, I don't know what that is.

What I can tell you though, is that when I received my order of Java Moss (a small clump) there was a lot of similar baby hair type stuff on it. I assumed it was just very young growth. I got pretty annoyed at my platy fish I had at the time for eating it all. They left the more mature moss alone, so eventually it grew quite well.

I had wondered if this might be how the plant/moss propagates (if that is the right word). Since it is so fine a natural occurring current in a body of water would carry it off to a new place?

Sorry I can't be of help!
As a keeper of mosses I can say that it doesn't look like any part of any moss I know, to me. New moss looks like old moss, just skinnier. And it doesn't ever develop roots like that. Moss strands can stick to objects like velcro if they so choose, haha.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does this sound like your deal? It could also be staghorn algae but the bright green colour makes me think otherwise. I'm not super knowledgeable about algae types so someone else may be able to clarify.
ding ding ding, i think this is what it is...

any tips on dealing with it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts