Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this new betta from my LFS today and forgot to ask for his breed! I was told that he's still young and should be expected to grow! Could your help me identify? He has really large pectoral fins! Not sure if he's a half-moon or a plakat? Or something else?

Attachments

699 Posts
I would stay a copper elephant ear traditional plakat with butterfly colouration on his fins???? Could be wrong though, he might be asymmetrical instead of traditional, and he might be a purple/pink with iridescence on his body instead of copper. Gorgeous boy, a nice find. :D

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Definitely an Elephant Ear :) can't be sure about the tail style without seeing him fully flared though. Not sure about color either, picture's not clear. Kiiiindaa looks like a butterfly, but who knows. He's lovely though!

Oh and just as a side note, his "breed" is Betta splendens. Color and tail style doesn't make him a different breed. An example of other "breeds" in the genus Betta would be one of those wild types whose scientific name I can never remember.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Copper Salamander EE Delta. He's actually an in-betweener, not a full PK since his fins are much too long. Probably a cross between HMPK and HM but HM is quite recessive so many end up being Delta's instead. So, since he doesn't meet the PK qualifications, he just falls back into being a regular DeT (Delta).

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely an Elephant Ear :) can't be sure about the tail style without seeing him fully flared though. Not sure about color either, picture's not clear. Kiiiindaa looks like a butterfly, but who knows. He's lovely though!

Oh and just as a side note, his "breed" is Betta splendens. Color and tail style doesn't make him a different breed. An example of other "breeds" in the genus Betta would be one of those wild types whose scientific name I can never remember.
Betta splendens is his species, EE plaket and possibly butterfly would be his breed. For example, all domestic dogs are the same species, but there are different breeds such as labs and newfies.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Betta splendens is his species, EE plaket and possibly butterfly would be his breed. For example, all domestic dogs are the same species, but there are different breeds such as labs and newfies.
I always thought that to be a different breed you need to have a different origin and breeding purpose and such. Like in your example Labs are hunt dogs and Newfies... I don't know what people breed Newfies for. Livestock guarding? You get the idea. So in my head a VT betta versus a HM betta would be like a chocolate lab versus a black lab. Or if you want an example that looks different; a smooth collie versus a rough collie versus a border collie. They're just variations of the same "breed". But then again what exactly is "breed"? :roll:

Oh well. I'll dodge the debate and just say thanks for sharing your 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, there are no breeds in fish. There is variations (color, tail lobes, shape) and then just species, genus, family, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always thought that to be a different breed you need to have a different origin and breeding purpose and such. Like in your example Labs are hunt dogs and Newfies... I don't know what people breed Newfies for. Livestock guarding? You get the idea. So in my head a VT betta versus a HM betta would be like a chocolate lab versus a black lab. Or if you want an example that looks different; a smooth collie versus a rough collie versus a border collie. They're just variations of the same "breed". But then again what exactly is "breed"? :roll:

Oh well. I'll dodge the debate and just say thanks for sharing your 2 cents.
Well a breed is a lineage of a plant or animal created for a specific purpose or quality. The way I see it is that a HM would be breed for the characteristics of a betta with larger and "fluffier" fins than VT or something else. Meaning that that would make HMs a breed, since they were continuously breed until you have what we can purchase today. Quite frankly it's just a semantics game.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts