Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this place and need desperate help. I have a beautiful Male VT Betta named Nate. and I've never cared for one before. Unfortunately I got him as a dirty Santa gift and I just cant let him die... I fell for the little guy. He is in a 3 gal (for now) filtered and heated to about 77 degrease. I did a 50% water change cause I noticed the drop. It was at 7.0PH when I left work. (he has to stay at the office) He's been itchy and I couldn't figure out why. I was using test strips but now I have the API mater test kit. the fish store said it was burning him cause of the low PH. I got to the office this morning and his PH was at 6.0..... I did another water change. He's in his one gal bowl right now while I run his new water in his tank for about an hour... Please help I don't know what to do to keep his water stable. I know he's super stressed. He keeps banging himself against everything..... If I need to give additional info PLEASE let me know!!

· Registered
Pets: 4 dogs, 2 fish tanks, 1 frogs RIP nyxa, our beloved 5th dog
1,233 Posts
Although your fish sint particularly sick, i think it would be helpful to have this information on hand
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

Reactions: sparkyjoe

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3gal
Does it have a filter? yes. Top fin Bettaflo with Element Cart
Does it have a heater? Yes. Stays at
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no He doesnt eat the freeze dries treats i have
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once or twice a day. 2-3 pellets each time. He gets no food Friday and Saturday. (he stays at work)

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change?30% to 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap (treated)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccume
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API stress Coat. OR aquasafe +

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.6 - 6.8
Hardness (GH): unknown
Alkalinity (KH): unknown ( I need to get more strips...)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Few weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He has a white spot on one pectoral fin. But I cant tell what it is. Not fuzzy appearance. Also doesn't look like ich (I have pics)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He glass surfs. Has since I got him. But he started to twitch and run into the bottom.
Is your Betta still eating? yes LOVES FOOD
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that i know
How long have you owned your Betta? Since December 15th
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I didn't buy him. He was a Dirty Santa gift.....
Thank you so much foryour help!
Water Green Vertebrate Blue Fish supply

Purple Nature Organism Terrestrial plant Violet

Plant Light Organism Purple Fish supply

Product Handwriting Fluid Liquid Font

Product Liquid Fluid Drinkware Material property
3 test tube is after water change this morning.
Water Organism Fin Underwater Pet supply

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went to my local fish shop. He gave me a PH buffer. I took a reading this morning at 8:40am and it read 6.0. Yesterday when I left work it was at about 6.4 - 6.6 PH.... So he told me to add the buffer. I added it at 9:45am this morning. After adding it was reading about 8.2 to 8.4. It is now 1:30pm and the reading is already going down. Its at 7.4 to 8.0. The color is harder to read on that one. I have pics of all readings.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am testing correctly. Following directions. Filling to the line. I don't know what is happening. I can't seem to find an answer.... I read maybe something to do with gasses and lack of oxygen in the tank. Something to do with that is dropping the pH.... But I can't find the thing I read about it. I don't know tho ... I don't want him to die. I have tested the pH in the tap. It's about 7.6. The bright blue color on the bottom of the API master kit. (I can't get it to stay at one range..... I can't figure out what's causing it to drop so quickly. Also. Should I remove him and put him in the one gal bowl I have.....
Handwriting Fluid Liquid Drinkware Beer

Liquid Solution Fluid Handwriting Test tube

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Handwriting Purple
Handwriting Liquid Tableware Drinkware Fluid

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts