Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female and and bubble nest Male ready for breeding, but Female seems very small comparing to Male, since its a Male King Betta from Petco and Female is UNKNOWN from Walmart...... I have been searching in the net and people been saying that female show signs of breeding ready by Vertical Line. My Female Betta is showing them, but when My Male Courts her she would freak out swimming everywhere, banging everywhere. Vertical Line Ready and Male too bigg?? or Female showing false Vertical Line and Female Need More Egg & More Growth???

Any Help is Appreciated Thank You.:-?:-?:-?:-?

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Have you seen youtube vidoes on betta breeding? In breeding mode they both flare and swim all over the tank. If the tank is small they might bump into everything. As long as the female is not showing stress line, it should be safe to assume she is in breeding mode.

If you do decide to pair these two, make sure you have lots of hide outs. Since male is much bigger, bushy plants like anacharis densely packed together (on anything that can resemble such density) works best. DO not use hideouts where male can follow female (in case he is too vicious).

Since this is their first spawn, use the female in a jar method for 1-2 days.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Don't be offended... but is there a reason why you're breeding when you don't even know the tail type of your female (most likely a veiltail)? Do you have a way to get rid of potentially 100+ betta fry that will likely have unremarkable characteristics as they are being bred from pet store fish? Are you prepared to separate all of those fish when they start showing aggression?

You need to think all of this out and do more research, IMO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Please avoid breeding if it's purely based on impluse - this is not me being a joy-killer, I want to make some things VERY CLEAR:

Breeding might not be a lot of work, but raising the fry is! Try having a small spawn (like the 50 I have for my first spawn) and being on top of 3 batches of baby brine shrimp hatcheries for food, 60% water changes every other day, and even worse, siphoning the tank multiple times a week.

There's no reason to bring little baby fish into this world if you arent fully 100% prepared and committed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry not bragging or anything here, But

My Dad is a professional Plakat or Thai Fighter Fish Breeder so we could handle the 500 babies alright. Although my female was a lot smaller, it is amazing how she is breedable. She is maybe a crowntail female by the shape of her tail. My dad was unsure of the size of the female, but everything worked out so I'm glad.

My Male King is being a gentle father. Female was bitten badly on the upper fin, but shes okay. I think it was because she was being chased away from the eggs. I separated the female already. Although I didn't see the mating happen, I manage to get the female out now so it will be okay. Have a look at my Male King betta taking care of his small fry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tG0n8IgqoI&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
702 Posts
If your dad is a professional breeder, it makes more sense to learn from him since he is already familiar with the tricks of the trade. If I were you, I'd try to learn as much as possible from him. I'm pretty sure you can learn much more from him than you can learn from us-- most of us breed as a hobbyists and not at a commercial scale. I wish my dad taught me how to breed bettas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts