Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my betta fish Kevin at Petco as a baby last June, so he's now a little over a year old. A few months ago, I noticed a small bump on his side. It didn't seem to be effecting him much, and after lots of research I concluded that it was probably a tumor, and there wasn't really anything I could do. I got him a fancy new tank to make him more comfortable and hoped for the best.

Photo of the bump when I first saw it (the white splotch in the photo is a mark on the tank)

However last week, I noticed that the bump had grown A LOT. It's now a large whiteish bulge on his side that kind of looks like it's about to pop.

Photos of the bump now

I gave him an epsom salt dip last week, and today I added a Jungle Fungus Clear tab to his tank. I'm thinking it could be dropsy or swim bladder, or maybe just some kind of infection, and hoping the medication helps. But he seems to be even worse just ~6 after adding the medication-- he's staying at the bottom of his tank and leaning to the side quite a bit.

Is the medication too little too late? Is it really just a fast growing tumor? Can I do anything else to help my little guy??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?: 2.5
Does it have a filter?: yes but I just took out the carbon piece because I put the treatment in
Does it have a heater?: yes
What temperature is your tank?: ~84* F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: just the filter that has a little waterfall kind of thing on it, if that counts
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?: no

Food:
What food brand do you use?: TetraBetta
Do you feed flakes or pellets?: pellets
Freeze-dried?: no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?: I feed him 4-5 pellets once a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?: approx every few weeks
What percentage of water did you change?: 25% change every 2 weeks or so, full change every 2 months or so
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?: just dip out water
What additives do you use?: I use the drops to make tap water safe before I add it to his tank

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: I don't have any of these. I can try to get to a pet store Wednesday to get the water tested if it's necessary!
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?: late July
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?: the lump that was once small and not easily noticeable is now very large and protruding and whiteish.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?: hasn't really changed until today
Is your Betta still eating?: yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?: I gave him an epsom salt dip (12 mins in 1 gal/1 tbsp mix then slowly re-introduced to tank) last week, and started a Jungle Fungus Clear treatment today. Note: around 6 hours after starting this treatment, he's began acting weird, like staying at the bottom of the tank and tilting to the side a bit.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?: no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?: since June 2015. I bought him as a baby (~3 weeks old) from Petco. He was fine until this July.

This is the bump on July 25th (white splotch is a smudge on the tank)
IMG_1679.jpg

This is the bump Sept 12th
IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg

(sorry all the photos are sideways???)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts