Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i hope i can explain this so you guys understand me lol i have a 40g tank i am about to cycle it i just purchased substrate and gravel. Now hear is the question can i put the substrate in and the gravel on top of it and start the cycle with no plants in my tank. i am gonna get plants monday, i just wanna start the cycle asap thats why is this ok to do??

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Yes. You don't need plants to cycle - they will just speed things up. You can start cycling as soon as you start running the filter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm sure having the substrate in with no plants will not affect the cycling, however, it would be an issue on monday when you purchase your plants and plant them in your tank. As you may know, planting plants with large amount of water makes it harder to plant.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You can have a tank cycled with no plants at all. So it is fine to add them later. It will be hard to plant in a filled tank, like Edifiler said. But most of the bacteria for the cycle grows in the filter and substrate, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Okay....not dirt but a plant specific substrate....I don't know that much about that type of substrate to be of much help....with dirt/soil I can help you out.....

Sorry I couldn't help...I am sure someone will be along that uses it to help answer your questions....until them....research..... is all I can recommend.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay....not dirt but a plant specific substrate....I don't know that much about that type of substrate to be of much help....with dirt/soil I can help you out.....

Sorry I couldn't help...I am sure someone will be along that uses it to help answer your questions....until them....research..... is all I can recommend.....
ok thanks bud

1 - 10 of 10 Posts