Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 10-gallon tank and wanted to get some ideas for tank companions for my female betta. Also, if a 10-gallon is too small to house anything but my female betta, please let me know! :smile2:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Depending on your Betta you have many options. I like the Endlers I have in my 5g at the moment, they're chill, small fish who don't go after Ori and his big fins and they get out of his way during meal time. The Rams in the 10g really like the other fish so far. I did hear that golden rams can be a bit more aggressive for some though. These guys are EBRs.

A lot of people love Tetras and Rasboras, they will typically leave your Betta alone. But if she doesn't like company then.. they will be targets. :p

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just remember Betta Male or female are predators. Any time you add tank mates to the mix you need to have plenty of cover and hides. I always recommend a tank that is heavily planted in order to do just that.

Ember tetras Rasboras are a few that I would recommend but you need a shoal of at least 6 of each Cory are another and again a shoal of 6 is required. If adding more than 12 fish to the mix make darn sure that the filtration is way above what is recommended for a 10 gallon tank. 100-150 GPH and your tank will be well filtered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the advice! I am thinking about adding 6 cories :smile2: as I have a back-up 20 gallon they can go into if she ends up being too aggressive toward them.

I want a smaller variety of cory though; and, will be sure to add more hiding spots and plants!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have never had a problem between betta and Cory. since Cory are bottom dwellers and hide in the plant roots Beta have never bothered them. But it's always good to have a spear 20 on hand LOL. I know I have a few spare tanks but always run in to the problem of not having any after a while since my Beta addiction and MTS keep them pretty well filled. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts