Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having a problem with my 2.5 gallon glass tank.

Before you read this, I can't afford any expensive fixtures..

Here is my situation;

This is my pet fish, Jack. I've had him for about 3 months now and I love him a whole lot

I bought this fully glass tank (I prefer glass rather than plastic) after I tried two other tanks, one being a .5 for about a month and a half, he loved it but I read online that it's too small. And a 3.5 that was just plastic, had a hood but it seemed too BIG for him.

I landed on this glass 2.5 gallon tank I found at my local pet shop,

My problem:

I've had it for around a month now, using this suction tube to get out all the excess food/feces at the bottom in the gravel but today when I went to get it there was just still SO MUCH. A lot of small stuff floating in the top and I kind of figured because the filter didn't have enough room to get it all?
Not even an inch above the gravel, that's because the filter DOES NOT go up any further with this
flat glass top, the filter hits the top.

I think it was a bad idea for the pet shop to sell a kit like this, I took off the top (which I DO need because I have cats) and the filter got some good distance between the bottom,

However, the top of the filter goes over the top of the tank,

So I need a top that is raised, (like a hood) with this much (OR MORE) leverage above the top. Or ideas on how to make one!

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sorry i can't guide you how to post IMG. And i don't cycle tanks so i am not help with the filter. But you have 2.5 gall tank you don't really even have to use the filter. He already was in the unfiltered tank you saying before. You can just continue the same with 2.5 gall tank. Just do 2-50 and 1-100% water changes a week. It will be absolutely fine and healthy for the fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, ANHEL,

I know of this method but I am leaning against it. The tank is very hefty (all glass) and I don't have that much time being a full time student and working at the same time. I was told at my pet store that with the filter, I can do a 25% water change every two weeks and a filter replacement bio-bag every month.

I would very much rather spend less time cleaning the tank but I would like to improve the cleanliness. Should I be doing the 25% change every week or should I do more of a change for 2 weeks?

I might actually just make my own hood from plexi or something if nothing shows up for a hood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was doing weekly full changes with the .5 gallon tank, here are the two old tanks I used to have:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I like my plastic 2.5 gall tanks. I just do full water changes every 5 days.
Well for 2.5 gal with filter you actually need to do 2-50% water changes a week along with the gravel vacuuming , and you need to swish/rinse the filter media in the tank water. I don't know lt still look like you need to spend a lot of time for cleaning.
You need to vacuum the gravel regularly to get all debris out so it don't contaminate the water and the filter also gather all gunk and can give ammonia spike. Check out this recommendations
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

1 - 9 of 9 Posts