Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small 3.5 gallon tank and have been looking at various fish that would be compatible with my male Betta yet capable of living in a smaller tank. I have been reading about the Otocinclus Cats but so much negatives in being successful with them..I hope for a fish that will last longer then a week to a month!

I am also wanting to replant my tank and will be getting Amazon Sword, not sure yet which Anubias and hopefully a Anacharis. Most likley just one of each for the different areas of the tank. Right now I have the Sword as a fake silk plant and a few Dwarf Hairgrasses. My Betta loves the hairgrass so am open to suggestion on those for the front of the tank in place of one of the above.

I do not have room for a bigger tank and will be moving into a mother-in -law unit that is a mere 550 feet at my daughters so not likely to be able to get larger tank at this time. But lack of room does not deter me from wanting to keep my boy. So I am only looking for suggestions for what I have to work with and hopefully not just recommendations to get a larger tank :love: Looking forward to suggestions

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Nothing can go in with a betta with a tank that small. Oto's need a group and aren't recommended for a tank under 10 gallons

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I knew someone would not be happy with the tank size. I have known people for decades that even bred Bettas in 2 gallons or less, and seen photos of where wild Bettas are found and find it incredible the pictures my friends send me of the street side vendors in Thailand and Vietnam, most in mayo jars or soda bottles. Many of the people I know with Bettas have them in containers I would not and they have survived in those small areas for many years....one in a gallon container is close to 4 years. Personally not until recently have I even seen a Betta in as large as a 3.5 gallon tank. I believe my guy is comfy, has beautiful color, good appetite, etc and not minding the size tank he is in

Soooo, I cannot believe that there is not "something" that could - would work, even in such a "small" tank. I am just looking for suggestions so as not to make mistakes that my fish would suffer from.:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you're looking for a small algae eater you should look in to nerite snails. They are tiny, efficient (mine does an excellent job cleaning my plants), and they can not breed in fresh water, so if you start with one, you end with one. They also stay quite small so not as much bio-load as a fish. My betta gets along with him quite well with his snail (aka he completely ignores him).

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
lol I knew someone would not be happy with the tank size. I have known people for decades that even bred Bettas in 2 gallons or less, and seen photos of where wild Bettas are found and find it incredible the pictures my friends send me of the street side vendors in Thailand and Vietnam, most in mayo jars or soda bottles. Many of the people I know with Bettas have them in containers I would not and they have survived in those small areas for many years....one in a gallon container is close to 4 years. Personally not until recently have I even seen a Betta in as large as a 3.5 gallon tank. I believe my guy is comfy, has beautiful color, good appetite, etc and not minding the size tank he is in

Soooo, I cannot believe that there is not "something" that could - would work, even in such a "small" tank. I am just looking for suggestions so as not to make mistakes that my fish would suffer from.:)
Re-read my comment. I was talking about oto tank size, not betta tank size. My small tanks are 2.5 and under.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I don't think anyone told you that a 3.5 gallon was too small for a betta. They simply said that it was too small for a betta AND tankmates. Many betta-compatible fish/amphibians like otos, african dwarf frogs, cories, and some livebearers are social creatures that need to be kept in groups, and a group won't fit in a tank that small. You also need to consider that many small fish, although small in size, have active swimming habits and won't be happy in a tank that small. Then there is bioload to consider. Also, there is more risk for aggression in a small tank since fish can't easily get away from one another. Overall, a 3.5 gallon is fine for a single betta but other than a single snail, I can't recommend any tankmates.

Regarding bettas in soda bottles and other tiny containers, my only comment is that surviving is much different than thriving....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts