Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a tropical fish tank since November last year (beginner bought for my sons 7th birthday).
In it I have a plec, several neons, few tetras etc. A couple months ago I bought him 2 silver sharks which I was advised was ok, but a few weeks later one of them started to get a reddish colour on his fin then subsequently died and his friend died several days later but didnt show any signs of being ill. All has been well until recently when one of my neons looked like he had a growth on his lip and over last week has started to look like his fins are furring up or fluffy (for want of better description). I have also noticed one of the other fish looks like he has a small hole in middle of his top fin??? What can I do, I clean the tank by taking a bucket of water out every 7-10days and clean the filter at the same time? Please tell me what this could be or what I can do

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
We need some more information and a pic...

What size is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, food/feeding.

Stocking-number and species of fish and any other livestock-any new fish added and if so did you QT

Do you have any water pram numbers for- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and if so-what kind of testing products used or if tested at the pet shop....

Often one of the biggest reasons you start to see problems is related to water quality, overstocking or poorly stocked that creates stress and this in turn causes compromised immune response and unless you correct the bottom line or cause of the problem....it will only continue and/or get worse....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for replying to me, I took a sample of the water to Dobbies aquarium today and all tests were ok. I dont think I have too many fish in the tank but seem to have only had problem since I'd bought 2 silver sharks who died few weeks later, one had no scales left on one side??? I was advised to buy some fin rot medicine so I'm hoping that it solves the problem. Guess I have a lot to learn about keeping fish huh

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Do you have the numbers-fine for one may not be fine for another-do you know what kind of testing products they used........

Unless you correct the bottom line....you will continue to have problems...happy to help but I really need the questions I asked in my first post- answered......

When stocking a tank it is important to stock based on the adult size of the fish not the current size-our goal after all is for them to thrive, grow and live to their expected life span-you also have to stock based on swimming needs, territory needs, social needs, chemistry, temp needs and compatibility....when poorly stock, overstocked and needs not met....this stress alone can compromise the immune response which in turn creates all type of issues.....By adding all different kinds of chemicals/medication/products for unknown reasons usually will do more harm than good.....

Good luck.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.