Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vern's been chugging around the bottom of the tank for the past couple days, but then yesterday I found him upside down on the bottom. I turned him over and he crawled off, seeming fine. then this morning he was on his shell again. I turned him over. He latched onto a marble and perched there all day, but then just a few hours ago, his foot...thing just sort of shriveled up and now he's balanced on top of the marble, not moving.

I read that the water would smell like rotten eggs or something if a snail died, but the water just smells normal, sort of like your average pond. Help! I don't know much about snails, but I thought he was doing fine...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The water will smell fine, if he is dead lift him out of the water and HE will smell rotten. Can you put him in a cup and try feeding him an algea wafer?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK i pulled him out and he didn't smell rotten. I put him in a spare bucket with an algae wafer and a bit of water. Is it possible he might be hibernating? I don't know what they look like when they do that.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Idk what nerites look like when they go dormant but my trapdoor snails shut their doors. It's possible I'd give him a week and smell him again

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I read on a different forum that if the water parameters change too much, they will supposedly throw little tantrums and just close up and tip over. I did do a 50% water change yesterday, so i guess that could explain it. I'll still keep an eye on him though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Vern's been chugging around the bottom of the tank for the past couple days, but then yesterday I found him upside down on the bottom. I turned him over and he crawled off, seeming fine. then this morning he was on his shell again. I turned him over. He latched onto a marble and perched there all day, but then just a few hours ago, his foot...thing just sort of shriveled up and now he's balanced on top of the marble, not moving.

I read that the water would smell like rotten eggs or something if a snail died, but the water just smells normal, sort of like your average pond. Help! I don't know much about snails, but I thought he was doing fine...

My Nerites do that. They kind of curl themselves up and they look like a little flower bud or something. Thes first time they did this I was concerned too, but after a day or two they were off chugging around the tank again. Maybe it's how a nerite takes a vacation? LOL.
If he doesn't smell when you take him out and you can see movement I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's still closed up, but he doesn't smell and he's not falling out of his shell, which is what the guy at my LFS said he would do if he was dead.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If he doesn't smell like the gates of hell itself, then I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, he still doesn't smell, but he has white fuzz (maybe mold?) growing around him...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That's odd. Pics?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd bet my last dime he is dead from your description. I've never had any thst went into dormancy grow a fuzz. Best to remove him if you haven't already. :-(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't get pics now cuz I moved him and vacuumed up the fuzz. I'll sniff him again and put him in the quarantine tank so he's not in Franky's tank...just in case.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, okay, i pulled him out and NOW he stinks. What do I do with him? I half want to save the shell because the pattern is cool but...sanitation?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Maybe you could Google removing a snail from a shell lol. I'm sure there are people who do it for some reason.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have always heard of pouring salt on snails to keep the shell. My uncles did that, but they were outdoor snails, and not underwater, so I don't honestly know if that will work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here are some suggestions I found an old thread on applesnail.net:

Easiest way I have found to clean a snail shell... 10% bleach with water, let it sit for an hour. Add 10% more water, swish it around, remove the shell, shake the shell, put it back in the water. Wait another hour. (You can start to feel it loosening it up) Another 10% water in cup, swish it around, remove shell, swish shell around, put back in water. Keep this up until the body slides out. (Doesn't take more than four, five hours.) Because of only using 10% bleach to start with, it doesn't fade the snail's colors.
Should the body JUST be dead and the body is already starting to slide out, I just hold the shell in one hand and let the body slide into the other hand, (no smell) and I let it just drop into my hand. Or the toliet. Then I rinse it with a 10% antibactirial soap really well. Rinse well, really well, and then let it soak in clean water over night. Poof, clean shell.
What i did ith my first dead snail was i cut off the operculum with a scalple (sorry if i spelled it wrong) and i took a spray bottle with bleach and did about 10 sprays on the body. this will actually liquify the body and it won't smell bad when the body drips out, plus the shell wont be bleached.
I put the dead snails in a Gladware container, fill it about 2/3 with water, put in a bit of bleach, and start swishing. I then let it sit for awhile. The bleach makes the smell more bearable and it helps loosen the body alot. ...after soaking overnight, I dump the old water, rinse the snails in clean water, see who can come out easy, and put those in a bowl of clean hot water. The ones that didn't come out get fresh water and bleach, more swishing and another 24 hours with occasional swishing every few hours until everyone is clean.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice, but i couldn't stand all that boiling and bleaching and body falling out stuff. The guy at my LFS suggested a similar process and I was like "eugh, no", so I just threw him away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts