Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a wonderful order of gorgeous Nerite Snails from www.aquariumplantsfactory.com. Am so glad they have branched out beyond plants.

Yes, I consider Nerites "gorgeous." :)

Received Tracked, Zebra and small Horned/Thorned. The last are so cute. Had to wait as they quarantine 30 days before selling. Can't beat that precaution!
Thorn-Snail-Nerite-APF-2_2048x.jpg

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
They are a pretty bunch. I'm going to have to look into some for my tanks Morry's tank is starting to get out of hand. I removed some green hair algae the other day but still have some algae growing on the glass and sand. So I think I'll get in touch with them.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
They are a pretty bunch. I'm going to have to look into some for my tanks Morry's tank is starting to get out of hand. I removed some green hair algae the other day but still have some algae growing on the glass and sand. So I think I'll get in touch with them.
They may or may not eat the green hair algae. I've found my two are hit and miss on it.

I'll have to check out what snails they have. I'm considering getting some assassin snails since I'm about sick of the ramshorns chewing on the more delicate plants in my 20 gal. It's time to really thin the ramshorn herd in that tank.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mine don't seem to eat bba, green hair algae or blue green algae, little stinkers.
But they munch happily on anything else that crops up.
However, the amano seem to love the hair algae, and the hornwort has wiped out the blue green (it competes, and wins).

(the blue green came in on a plant, and then decided to stay)
@Rainbo I have found that the hornwort is nearly as good a pondsnail magnet as lettuce. Everytime I thin the hornwort out, I drop it in the bucket of old water while I am doing a WC. Then when I empty the bucket, the bottom of it is covered in little snails. they hitch a ride and then fall off. To their doom, because they do NOT go back in the tank! My Assassin likes the easy hunting, but he won't touch the baby snails, so it is just luck whether he gets to the adolescent snails before they breed, and then there is a whole new generation incoming. Maybe I should have 2 Assassins in the tank.

Sorry @Russell I have derailed. I love your horned nerites. I have 2 zebra and 5 orange with black dots scattered through 3 tanks. No horns. I find that 1 snail per 10g is approx enough to keep them entertained and fed. Any more snails than that and they need quite a lot of added food, and I try to avoid that, because one of my betta likes nothing better than to munch on courgette, and then he gets a swollen tummy. Idiot.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
These are so tiny you could have six or seven in a 10 gallon. ;-)

Unless you happen to get the godzilla of horned nerites like I did:surprise:. I was sent one that is roughly the size of a nickle, and just a little smaller then my full grown Zebra Nerite. My other 5 horned nerites are all normal sized.

·
Super Moderator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Most of the smaller Horned/Thorn Nerites are around .5" but they can reach 1". There are the larger Sun Horned/Thorned Nerites.

https://www.aquariumplantsfactory.com/collections/aquarium-livestock/products/sun-thorn-nerite-snail

Steroid would be a good name no matter what. ;-)
Oh cool! I didn't know there was a subset to the horned nerites. I love learning new things. If I remember right the place I got him from just labeled them as zebra horned nerites.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Another vote for Steroid here!

Reactions: Rainbo

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quick question; what do you use to supplement calcium/minerals for them, and won't harm betta/plants?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have found that the hornwort is nearly as good a pondsnail magnet as lettuce. Everytime I think the hornwort
I can agree with this! I got my little snail colony thanks to some hornwort I purchased, and they seem to adore it (and enjoy nibbling my amazon sword).

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Quick question; what do you use to supplement calcium/minerals for them, and won't harm betta/plants?

For my nerites I don't, but I want to try some cuttlebone for the rest of the snails. I've yet to see my nerites eat anything but algae, and I've been keeping them for 3 years now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks, I also wonder if they absorb some of the calcium in fertizlizers. I put an algae tab in the tank. My nerite had no interest, but my betta sure liked chewing on it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts