Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking to add two snails into my ten gallon. I was pretty set on mysteries, because I had some growing up, but apparently no one sells them here anymore, and its so hot here that I wouldn’t be able to order any for monthes. After calling a few pet stores, one carries nerites. I was curious about a few things-
I heard they’re master escape artists? I’ll attach a picture of my tank, how should I snail proof it?
Does cuttlebone affect the water quality? I have bettas in both tanks I’m looking to add snails in, how would that affect them? How much cuttlebone should I place for two nerites?
What’s a good food? I was looking at this Pellet - Weekender Fish Food because it seems like it won’t affect the water quality as much.
Edit: I was looking for snails mostly for me, as a kind of pet. I hardly have any algae in either tank, so a cleanup crew isn’t necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These are my two tanks. One was a aquarium kit but I recently replaced the filter, so now there’s a huge whole where the big chunky filter used to take up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
I am ordering some Mystery Snails from a seller on eBay because my go-to won't ship right now. Seller's in Texas and I'm in Tennessee. If you wish, I can let you know how it goes. You can ask if the seller will make up a smaller package for you.

You could have have Nerites but you'd need to help them out by cultivating algae for them. It's easy; just put some rocks in a bowl and cover with water. Place in a bright window and you'd have algae in no time.

If you feed a snail-invert-specific food they usually have added calcium. I buy from Crayfish Empire but there are lots of sellers on eBay who offer.

Love watching my Mystery Snails. Oh, and if one of your boys doesn't accept them, you can put two on one side. The Mystery Snail group to which I belong says one per half-gallon but one per gallon is best.

Forgot link:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts