Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2.5 gal! despite what people say I am going to make my own divider and split it between my girl and guy baby fishies as an upgrade from their 1/2 gallons. I have some random plants in there right now, the substrate is straight infertile looking garden soil. mixed with sand. it is topped with a little gravel.

I'm planning to let it settle for about a week. before putting on a timer for the light and leaving it to fend for itself for a month or so. During that month, I will have MTS and ramshorns to keep a good biological cycle going.

After I come back, I'll test the params, and if all is good, then all thats left is to make the divider and in theyyy goooo!

the soil is only about 1in thick at the thickest places, I wanted to invest in so crypts, the surface is covered in duck weed and salvinia to suck up any excess ferts running loose.

What are some other nice ornaments/ plants I could have in there? today I saw that dragon at pet smart and thought that it would be awesome if I can make an external fountain out of it >.>

suggestions and criticisms?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I'm going to assume the guppy fry are big enough so they won't slip through the mesh (or whatever you're going to divide it with)?

Nice planted tanks though!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Aus, I'm actually thinking of divding it .8 : 1.6 where the male beig larger gets more room oO I guess it will have to depend on who's more active.

@ Jupiter: No guppies lol, just two bettas :D I'm going to cut my own mesh so I'll be making triply sure they wont slip through ;)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Oops...My dad has been keeping guppies for so long I always associate 'fry' with hundreds of little guppies lol.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
lolol, I meant that people say not to put a guy and girl in a divided tank. But there are those ppl on here who have them in such set ups and it seems ok, I'll be trying it out for a while
:shock: mine is divided with a male and a female! lol
they flirk all the time ;-) lol

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I was thinkig the same thing too! there's been way too many times where I read something and got frustrated cos I couldn't find the like button
EXACTLY! lol. lets all flood the mods with 'like button' emails jk lol

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My female is 10x more active than all my males have been, except the big plakat..

Still, I'd not take up their swim space with decorations. They'll have plants to make it pretty, which will take up enough of the volume as it is, along with the substrate.

JMO. ;)
heehee, hopefully the plants will grow well then =D *crosses fingers* I have a few in there I am unable to name >.>

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
decided to cap with sand. I love this brand of sand almost zero cloudiness. Doesn't need any rinsing either.

Did my first WC today and after testing the water, I let my girl test explore the new domain, check out that stomach. she immediately set out to demolishthe planaria population

Still need to fish more MTS from my plant tank to work the sand in this one :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.