Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be just over reacting and too concerned for my little fishy but I just want to make sure his behavior is normal. Every so often he seems to go crazy and swims very quickly around his tank running into the glass gravel his plants and everything else. Well he started doing this earlier so I went over and sat and talked to him a bit and I noticed he was pale in the face and around the gills. Then he started flaring so I shut off his light and the filter. (Sometimes he enjoys the water pump but other times I think it stresses him out). Well his color came back in his face a bit and he has seemed to calm down. I just want to know why he was acting like this.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
how long has he been in his tank? I assume not long since you said you were a new fish parent.
Are you able to get a picture/video of him going haywire?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
As Taeanna requested, a video or photos would be great! Also, could you please fill out the form below so that we have more info? Answer what you can, and leave anything else blank (or put NA).

---------------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What BRAND of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?
How much do you feed each time?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How long have you had your fish?

If your fish is new, how did you acclimate (introduce) him into the tank? (For example, did you just put him directly into the tank, or did you follow a process to introduce him slowly, etc?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how long has he been in his tank? I assume not long since you said you were a new fish parent.
Are you able to get a picture/video of him going haywire?
No not long I've had him for a little over a week. He was a gift so his tank was also and I don't really like the tank it's only a two gallon and I'm sure he would enjoy something larger. I've already done 1 50% water change and planned on doing a full water change today. Ill try and get the picture or video he just does it at such random times and normally while I'm across the room. He's always very pleasant when I come sit next to
Him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Never gets below 75 or above 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What BRAND of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed each time? As much as he will eat within two minutes maybe 6 or 8 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 & 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Loses color in face then calms down and is his normal dark red
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Only in little spurts of "crazy"

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How long have you had your fish? A week

If your fish is new, how did you acclimate (introduce) him into the tank? (For example, did you just put him directly into the tank, or did you follow a process to introduce him slowly, etc?) I didn't just plop him in I let him get use to his water for about five minutes slowly [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Five minutes isn't very long to acclimate a fish. But you really need to put some kind of conditioner in the water! Prime is best. The chlorine in tap water is really harsh to the fish. Do you have a thermometer in the tank? The water temp can be at most 10 degrees colder than room temp and the flux could also cause stress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Five minutes isn't very long to acclimate a fish. But you really need to put some kind of conditioner in the water! Prime is best. The chlorine in tap water is really harsh to the fish. Do you have a thermometer in the tank? The water temp can be at most 10 degrees colder than room temp and the flux could also cause stress.
yes I have a thermometer the five minute acclimation was after his 50% water change. the filter in the tank conditions the water itself, or so it says. the temp is pretty steady drops just a bit at night only in about a five degree range though. unfortunately, he was a gift so I didn't have time to run out and get everything for him, and while he was a great gift I wish I would have been given everything I needed to take care of him -_-

·
Registered
433 Posts
What kind of filter do you have?? I've never heard of one doing that... a 5 degree change may not seem like much, but it was stressing my boy out when I first got him too. I ended up changing his bulb so the water wouldn't heat up and he calmed down alot.
Could you add a pic of him? That way we can see if he has stress lines or anything :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts