Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am very new to betta fish and enthusiastic to buy one!

I have a couple questions about them before embarking myself in this beautiful journey.

1. I am currently a student and because of lack of space I will not be able to buy a 5gallon tank. I am thinking of buying a 1.5-2 gallon tank and wanted to know how this will affect my betta.

2. I LOVE plants! So I plan to buy a few plants to place in the tank. I was thinking of buying water prites and anacharis. Are these good plants? what do you recommend?

3. If I have plants, is a filter needed? (student probs you know:|)

If you have any other facts that could help me please feel free to post them! Also post a pic of your tank, it will help me see how yours is set up!!:-D

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Hello!

I am very new to betta fish and enthusiastic to buy one!

I have a couple questions about them before embarking myself in this beautiful journey.

1. I am currently a student and because of lack of space I will not be able to buy a 5gallon tank. I am thinking of buying a 1.5-2 gallon tank and wanted to know how this will affect my betta.

2. I LOVE plants! So I plan to buy a few plants to place in the tank. I was thinking of buying water prites and anacharis. Are these good plants? what do you recommend?

3. If I have plants, is a filter needed? (student probs you know:|)

If you have any other facts that could help me please feel free to post them! Also post a pic of your tank, it will help me see how yours is set up!!:-D

Thanks!
Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fish keeping. It is very rewarding, yet time consuming. I applaud you for seeking information and knowledge before purchasing a fish.

You could keep a betta in a tank of that size (I started out that way), but it would need more frequent cleanings. Calculating in the heater and a filter/sponge filter, your fish would not have too much room. Do you think you could bump it to 3 gallons? If not, that's ok. In a smaller tank, java fern, java moss (in my opinion these are betta favorites) do extremely well. My first betta loved to swim around and explore in the little java fern "forest". Anacharis is a good option, but I don't know how it would do in lower lighting.

Plants help the cycle of a tank, but do not replace the filter. In the filter, beneficial bacteria grows and helps to break down ammonia, and if there's too much ammonia, your fish will get sick, slowly die, or straight up pass away if there's an ammonia spike. This is why it's also good to have a water parameter test kit. I understand if you can't afford a $30 master test kit, but I urge you to at least grab the ammonia and pH test kits.

Here's a couple links:
Cycle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Betta Fish Diseases and Treatments: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

I have some tips:
a)Always have API Stress Coat on hand (it works miracles for fin rot and stressed out fish)
b)Feed your new betta only twice a day. The amount of pellets to feed him depends on the size of the pellets.
c)Check the water parameters once a week and check the temperature of the water every day.

Here's a picture of my first tank. Notice the java fern, heater and filter. This was a 1.5, so it can be done. I only had a smaller tank because the betta I got was a "runt" and had stunted growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Snails help control algae, but actually put more waste into a tank. Certain snails (like mystery snails) poop A LOT. And they breed a lot, so you'll end up with more than you can handle. As long as you are able to do weekly water changes, one snail would be fine. :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey!! Welcome to the fishkeeping equivalent of crack!!

1. I think a 2.5 is the best footprint bang for your buck. They're about $10, at petsmart they come with a lid (bettas are jumpers!) and are a great size for a betta!! They're also the smallest tank that can fit an adjustable heater, which I would def recommend getting. Makes life a lot easier.

2. Plants NEVER hurt!! Moss balls are cute too, as well as Anubias. I let mine float, little guys like to chill in the leaves. Java moss is great too, as well as guppy grass!!

3. You don't NEED a filter, either way. Look into the nitrogen cycle. You can either cycle a tank, or remove the ammonia manually - it's hard to cycle anything under 5G though. I would (and do) just do water changes frequently. Personally, 3 a week works well.

Other tips!! Make sure they have a place to hide!! I LOVE terra cotta pots, make sure the little hole in the bottom is blocked! Coffee mugs work great too, they're pretty cute ^-^
I would 'splurge' on good food. Petco sells New Life Spectrum, which is what I use. The Small Fish formula is teeny, which is good for little betta mouths :3 Others here use and love Omega One, which is the brand petsmart sells. I can't speak for it, but it's quality.
I would SUPER RECOMMEND using Seachem PRIME as a water conditioner, ESP if you're going the unfiltered route. It's super concentrated (2 drops per gallon) and cheap, and temporarily binds with the ammonia a fish produces, and can make the water a little less toxic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts