Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Fluval Spec V and from reading reviews online I know that the current is too strong for bettas even when set on low.

My first question is if there is any way to prevent this? I've read about filter sponges or using rubber bands and tie a piece of cloth to it (my filter thing is a tube btw)??

I've also noticed that when I put him in the new 5 gallon tank (originally in a 1 gallon bowl) he moves his fins a loot more than normal, and i don't know if he's struggling with swimming or not. I'm scared the current is too strong and that the water intake is too strong.

Since I can't get hold of anything tonight should I turn the filter off until I can get the supplies to slow the current and intake (if it's too strong)??

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is your decor? Set up some nice hiding spots/ spaces where the current is broken. Till then, if it seems like he's constantly struggling he probably is. How new is the tank and did you condition the water?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
try and pack the intake area out with sponge or filter wool. and you can also wrap filter sponge around the filter out flow nozzle and fix in place with a cable tie. There is actually a thread for fluval spec, nano tanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I just bought the Fluval Spec V and from reading reviews online I know that the current is too strong for bettas even when set on low.

My first question is if there is any way to prevent this? I've read about filter sponges or using rubber bands and tie a piece of cloth to it (my filter thing is a tube btw)??

I've also noticed that when I put him in the new 5 gallon tank (originally in a 1 gallon bowl) he moves his fins a loot more than normal, and i don't know if he's struggling with swimming or not. I'm scared the current is too strong and that the water intake is too strong.

Since I can't get hold of anything tonight should I turn the filter off until I can get the supplies to slow the current and intake (if it's too strong)??

Thanks
Post your questions about the Fluval here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=128565

We are all Fluval owners in that thread, and you will get correct answers to your questions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same tank and a couple of the 2.6 gal. If the force of the flow is too strong even after dialing it down on the pump then remove the outflow piece that looks like a "S". Just have the wider elbow piece sticking out of the divider wall.
Velocity thru a smaller diameter pipe is faster than a wider one...OMG don't tell my mum that i remembered hs physicis classes!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts