Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to fish care! I received a baby betta for a gift and he's now about 2 months old and growing! :) He's in a quart bowl, so I bought a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a filtering unit. The filtering unit hangs over the side with a suction cup at the bottom. It's very quiet, but when I touch the side of the aquarium, I can feel a vibration. Will my baby betta be okay with that? When I touch the water it doesn't feel like vibration. Right now he's in a quart bowl and I want to move him to this larger tank. Will he feel the vibration and will it bother him? I used tap water and put in the dechlorination solution, substrate at the bottom and a small diver's head decoration for him to swim into. Also, do you have any recommendations for a heater for this tank? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi welcome to TFK forum, you are in good company hanging out in here, I myself am a returning fishkeeper getting back into fishkeeping with a new tank and all, with the internet and all it has become apparent that there is an awful lot of Betta keepers out there, and in here also. The vibration you get a little from the filter wont bother the fish, sound travels far under water and the slight rumble your fish feel from the filter is no different from say a waterfall back in the wild. The filter you have will eventually do the intended job of cleaning the water but it may take a couple of months before the bacteria the filter needs to process the water is present in sufficient quantity to do the job, meantime you have to do regular water changes to get rid of the ammonia your fish is producing. Although not an expert I do know that this advice is important--life or death to your fish. In a small tank the size of yours a 50W heater/thermostat will do the job--there are lots out there, my own favourite are EHEIM, a German make.good luck with your Betta, and keep posting, one thing fish keepers never tire of is sticking their noses into other peoples tanks, as I said there is a large Betta community on this site and you will get plenty of tips and advice from them, Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi WE , I would change a gallon of your 2.5 gallon tank water every week, and keep your filter running for a couple of months without cleaning it, by the time this 2 months is complete your filter would have built up enough beneficial bacteria to do its job and after that a usual water change of 20% or 25% a week would be enough to keep things stable. The reason water changes are still neccessary even when the filter is mature is that the filter process 1/ converts ammonia in the tank to nitrites 2/ bacteria convert nitrites to nitrates 3 the nitrates end up back in your tank water. If you dont do weekly say 25% water changes the nitrates build up in the tank water which will kill your fish over time. Clean your filter every 3 months or so and '' IMPORTANT '' use the water from the tank to rinse out your filter wool carbon etc from the filter, do not use tap water to clean your filter, this keeps the bacteria present in the filter media. There are tons of folk know more about water chemistry/ filters here than me and if your interested then read up the articles on '' CYCLING ' your tank. Cycling is gradually maturing your filter so that it does the jobs of removing ammonia and nitrates from your tank water. good luck with your betta, what is his name ? ( the Betta crowd give their Bettas names ) , they post pictures, they are obsessed with Bettas. I am of a previous generation that called them Siamese Fighting Fish, and if the truth be told there is something awe inspiring about seeing a Siamese prowling around the tank, graceful yet menacing. let us know how you get on--Bilbo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, thanks so much for this. I'm printing it out for reference! His name is Blue. My Godson gave him to me and named him for me too! Good name, since he's blue. ;-)
I'll try and post a picture. I'm not having any luck with that yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, thanks so much for this. I'm printing it out for reference! His name is Blue. My Godson gave him to me and named him for me too! Good name, since he's blue. ;-)
I'm trying to post a picture but it's not working. I can put it as my profile picture for now!

·
Registered
528 Posts
There is a sticky here on cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

and on water changes: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

If you get an adjustable heater (strongly recommended), make sure it can fit into your tank. I just got eheim 50w today, it's just under 10" long. For a 2.5 gallon you could also get a 25w heater, it might fit better. Get a thermometer too, as the heater may not heat to the temperature you set so you may need to play with it to get it calibrated.

If you can't afford an adjustable, a preset will do, but if I say it out loud here people will throw rocks at me. :) Duck. Eventually you'll need an adjustable though, and it would be wise to plan on getting an extra tank for a hospital.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a sticky here on cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

[...]
If you get an adjustable heater (strongly recommended), make sure it can fit into your tank. I just got eheim 50w today, it's just under 10" long. For a 2.5 gallon you could also get a 25w heater, it might fit better. [...]
I agree that 25w is probably more than enough. It's the smallest you'll find that is adjustable, which is desirable but not required. Avoid the "always on" models. Pre-set is okay, just not as great as adjustable. Always-on is bad.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My understanding is that you can put eheim horizontally, so if your tank is 10" long than it will do. Hydor Theo 25W is shorter, I think 7", not sure.

I've been using a preset since December and for a healthy fish it works fine. They are a lot smaller and cheaper than adjustable ones. The reason I got eheim is for a hospital set up, so you may or may not actually need one. Or you could get one if/when your little guy gets sick. I got a 5G critter tote at petsmart, the eheim fits in it horizontally.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I recommend a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater for your 2.5 gallon tank. I had a 2.5 gallon not long ago and my hydor 25 watt kept it at a healthy 80F all the time. High quality food from Omega One or New Life Spectrum will definitely contribute to the happy and healthy life of your betta. I would also recommend that you use Seachem prime as your water conditioner as it detoxifies the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in your water. It is one of the best water conditioners on the market. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts