Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I just left Pet-smart with my new beta..he's red and so pretty. I asked the pet store guy how to take care of them and he said " nothing to it". I told him that I had 5 neon's in the tank and they died the next day. And also one other fish. It just died yesterday. I've been doing everything that I was supposed to do so I wanted to get a fish that wouldn't die on me. He told me that I should use the same water, don't change it and just add the beta. I asked if I needed anything for it, heater, filter anything. He said no, they don't need much at all. Ok so I got home, I did change the water cause I didn't want him in the water my other fish died in..waited for about an hour and added him. He stays at the top not moving.. I read on here that I DO need a heater and the water needs to be at at least 78, am I right. I really need some help, hes too pretty to die and the guy at the store apparently didn't know his behind from a hold in the ground.:-?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yes he does need a heater.. but don't worry he won't die if he doesn't have one for a few days (think of how long they last in those cups). Bettas are hardy little guys and a great starter fish, they're pretty forgiving if you mess up a few times. So whenever you can get down to the store and get him a heater would be good. It's needed for long term health so sooner is better. 78 is a good temperature to start with them. Did you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine?

I'm sorry your tetra died... They are fragile fish and they really aren't a good place to start fish keeping. They need a tank that has undergone the nitrogen cycle or they are goners.

What size is your fish tank?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Did you use anything to treat the tap water?
do you have a filter?
How big is your tank?
Do you have any kind of aereator for the water?
Did you cycle your tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its a 2.5 gallon tank. No I didn't treat the water. Can I still do it, and should I take him out before I treat it. I think I have a filter, it came with the tank.. I will take a pic and post it.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
2.5 gallons is way too small for tetra.
A betta is the only good choice.
You are going to have to head to the store and buy dechlorinator asap- it will burn his gills and damage his body.
Most uneducated pet store people should know that much. That's okay, a lot of people have a rough start in the fish hobby, but you found a good place to learn all you need. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well to start 2.5 gallons is not enough for 5 neon tetras, 1 betta would be okay in there but no more fish.
You need a heater, but a filter is not really necessary, you also need to get something to treat the tap water and make it safe for your betta if not he would die.
You don't need to cycle a 2.5 gallon but you need to do at least 75% water changes weekly and treat the tap water before adding it to the tank.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
To add pics you need to sign up for something like photobucket or flikr, and upload them on there, and then on here.
Taking him out won't do anything since all your water will have chlorine in it. He'll be okay for tonight.. Can you head to the store tomorrow?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
That's water conditioner. Did you put in the recommended amount? :p

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Never ask a pet shop employee for fish advice - -they are clueless 99.9% of the time.

If you don't use conditioner, the fish will most likely die. There is stuff in the water like chlorine, heavy metals, ect that are deadly to fish.

Also, even with a filter, you need to do weekly water changes. I don't think a 2.5 can cycle but if you use a filter you should be aware of the nitrogen cycle as it too can be deadly for fish.

EDIT: since you just got him, it may take a few days for him to settle in. Since the tank is kinda tall, you may want to get a tall silk plant with lots of leaves for him to rest on near the surface. I would suggest Indian Almond Leaves but you can only get them via sellers in Asia. They release tannins into the water and when i first put the leaves in, I usually find the betta chillin under the leaf. After it gets a bit more water logged, the leaf sits lower in the water and I usually find them resting on top of the leaf. They need to be taken out after 2-3 weeks so it does not rot and pollute the water. They also tint the water amber colored- like a bettas natural habitat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much do heaters usually run. And the thermometers? Sorry for asking so many questions, I didn't realize they needed so much. And I want to get the right stuff for him.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
depends on what kind you want.

You said 2.5 gallons, right? so you want a 25 watt heater. it's better to get ones that are adjustible as opposed to preset.

tetra has preset ones that are the cheapest but if your house/room is on the colder side, it will only heat the water up a few more degreese then the air temp.

Hagen Elite 25 watt ones are nice. They are short so they fit in smaller tanks and its adjustable. I got mine for $13 plus shipping off Amazon.com

Ebay is another good place to look for cheap heaters - just make sure they are using the same voltage system. Alot of sellers are in China/Hong Kong and they sell both the US and UK voltage settings. Make sure the one you are looking out is the correct one for your country.

Therometers are cheap. They can range between 1.99 - 3.99.

·
Registered
60 Posts
fortasiastar, your local petsmart should carry a flat pad-like heater just for betta that you can just lay on the gravel or however it is used(never used one) but i know many folks that have used one and it works well. I believe it should cost around 14 dollar depend where you are from. Thermos are no more that 2 dollars, also be sure to get the thermos that go into the water with the degrees on the tube and avoid the strip thermos where you stick it on the outside of the glass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just went and got a heater and a thermo. Thanks so much to everyone that helped. I sure didn't want my little guy to get sick or worse. I'm glad I found such a helpful and friendly site. Thanks again..

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Your little guy sure is cute!
If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 22 Posts