Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Fink - Female Veiltale with Red Markings (I think?)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve asked for help with Nebula before with gasping when I first tried to acclimate her to her tank.

Original Thread: Help—New Betta Gasping at Bottom of Tank

She improving on that note, but now I’ve noticed something else since I have her in a floating hospital container. She has really big eyes. They’ve been like this since I got her. Now I’m wondering if it’s normal or not. There’s no cloudiness or discoloration inside the eyes, and the big size is bilateral. Are her eyes normal or does she have Popeye?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
3 Gallon
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes--Preset
What temperature is your tank?
80º
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No--Just HOB filter waterfall
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No--N/A

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Aquatic Foods Inc
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
Treats--bloodworms, miss, daphnia
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Just got her yesterday (08/06/22)--hasn't eaten since

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Everyday—I’ve only had her for a week and she immediately showed signs of gasping and struggling to come to surface. So it was recommended to to do water changes (bottled water with no conditioner but with IAL extract) by Breeder immediately for first couple of days. Then I moved to floating hospital tank (100% daily water changes with tap water with conditioner and IAL extract) after no signs of improvement.
What percentage of water did you change?
50%
What is the source of your water?
Bottled—Per Breeder recommendation
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
None per Breeder recommendation

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: N/A—Hospital Container w/ daily water changes
Nitrite: N/A—Hospital Container w/ daily water changes
Nitrate: N/A—Hospital Container w/ daily water changes
pH: N/A—Hospital Container w/ daily water changes
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Hasn’t changed since I got her—her eyes have always been that large
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
She’s improved—now eating, swimming more, not gasping, pooping
Is your Betta still eating?
Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Moved to hospital tank with daily water 100% water changes
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No--Not that I'm aware of
How long have you owned your Betta?
1 week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No

Green Pollinator Plant Wood Organism
Water Window Fluid Liquid Automotive lighting
Water Atmosphere Liquid Automotive lighting Road surface
Water Vertebrate Organism Fish supply Fluid

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
She doesn't have pop eye but she is very thin. From above she should look like the photo below. A smooth line from nose to base of caudal. No indents between head and body. In thin fish the eyes often seem larger.
Head Eye Fin Underwater Koi

How much is she eating now? Information in form is from a week ago

Frozen Bloodworms are fatty and for that reason are not recommended as a meal substitute for healthy fish. However, they will help put weight on thin fish. Drop the freeze dried for now and feed her several pellets 2 x per day and one or two Bloodworms once per day. You can use a turkey baster to remove leftovers.

·
Registered
Fink - Female Veiltale with Red Markings (I think?)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She doesn't have pop eye but she is very thin. From above she should look like the photo below. A smooth line from nose to base of caudal. No indents between head and body. In thin fish the eyes often seem larger.
View attachment 1045214
How much is she eating now? Information in form is from a week ago

Frozen Bloodworms are fatty and for that reason are not recommended as a meal substitute for healthy fish. However, they will help put weight on thin fish. Drop the freeze dried for now and feed her several pellets 2 x per day and one or two Bloodworms once per day. You can use a turkey baster to remove leftovers.
Sorry, I missed that section when I was updating the questions. She is eating much better now—3-4 pellets twice a day for the past two days. I feed one pellet at a time and go by the size of her belly. I’m currently rotating between two types of Aquatic Foods Inc pellets, but one of them is smaller than the other. I am trying to bulk her up, and I haven’t added a fast day yet since she didn’t eat for the first couple of days.

Color-Enhancing (35% Protein, Fat 5%, Fiber 3%, Ash 13%, Calcium 2%, Lysine 0.5%, NaC1 3%, Moisture 10%) - Ingredients: Fish meal, advanced wheat flour, Spirulina, Krill, shrimp meal, brine shrimp, deep sea fish oil, yeast meal, rose algae, astacin, wheat germ, stable multi-vitamins, multi-minerals

Blackworm W/ Color-Enhancing (50-55% Protein, Fiber 4-6%, Fat 4-5%, Moisture 8-10%) - Ingredients: Fish Meal, Blackworms, Equal amounts of Krill, Plankton, Shrimp Meal, Brine Shrimp, Red Shrimp, Spirulina, Dried Algae, Dried Kelp, Natural Astaxanthin, Wheat Flour, Soy Meal Brewer's Yeast, Palm Oil-Fish, Oil-Lecithin-HUFA Oil, Various Multi Vitamins & Multi Minerals

1 - 5 of 5 Posts