Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new betta today, a double halfmoon tail I decided to name Saki. When I got Saki home and in his pretty new tank (divided and the other side has a crown tail named Fritz got at the same time) Saki just sank to the bottom and laid on his side. he can swim. he has swum to the top numerous times and then he just sinks to the bottom and lies on his side with his head pointed up. I did catch him doing a few laps around the side wall then again sinking.

Fritz on his side of the tank is doing well and trying to decided which hiding spots are most "him". I figure i would check on Saki in the morning and see if he is up and about. but any suggestions on what I should do for the poor thing? When I was acclimating Saki i noticed there were about 6 uneaten pellets in his cup. I was gonna hold off feeding until tomorrow night.

Thanks for any advice!

oh the tank is cycled and planted with a sand over florite substrate.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
can you post any photos? that would be the easiest way to tell if something is wrong.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try! I am not the best at the whole pic taking thing.

That being said, when I looked in on him this morning he didn't seem as bad he was floating normally as opposed to laying on his side.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It could be that he was ill to begin with, or he is stressed and adjusting to his new home.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I have been waiting it out. he does seem to be doing better. mostly laying upright rather than on his side. was mainly curious if it was something common to this tail type or something that was in "normal" range of bettaness

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I agree. I think he may just be adjusting to his new home. did you acclimating him to his tank when you first got him?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Numot did the same thing when I first got him, and someone here suggested I make something to move him closer to the surface so he'd be able to breathe without it being as stressful. I made "fish jail", or a topless cube made out of craft mesh and plastic cable ties that floats. Water still flows through it, and I stuck some floating plants in there for a resting/hiding spot. Made it easier to observe poop quality, too.

Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I did, 45 mins at 15 min 25% water change before putting him in the tank. He seems to be much better now, swimming to the top and checking things out. he isn't as active as Fritz but is heading there.

thank you for all the advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts