Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my veiltail betta named Rio only 3 days ago. After going into his new tank, he immediately became vibrant with colour, and became very active right from the beginning. He's very curious and always comes to say hi when I approach the tank!

However, at the end of his second day here, I noticed that he'd stopped using his right pectoral fin, and fluttered his left one a lot. I figured it was nothing and went to bed, and when I checked on him the next morning, I noticed a white spot growing at the end of his right fin! Throughout the day, the fin became clamped and lost all of its colour, the white spot growing bigger and becoming flakey. The fin seems to be deteriorating slightly, but I haven't noticed any other signs of finrot throughout his body.

He's acting normal; swimming actively, still vibrant, enthusiastically eats his food, flaring every now and then, comes to say hi. Rarely at the bottom of his tank, and no floating. He seems healthy, but his fin is really concerning me. I know it can only get worse, and I noticed that he sometimes awkwardly tilts to his side when he tries to swim around. I'm not sure what to do! What could this be?

He's in a 5 gallon topfin retreat with a (baffled) filter and 50 watt heater (I live in Canada and my room is usually freezing). The tank has been properly cycled, and it's currently at 25 degrees celsius.
He eats fluval bug bite pellets, and sometimes the Omega one freeze dried bloodworms. I feed him one pellet in the morning, one at night. Today I only gave him one in the morning and a sprinkle of the bloodworms at night.

I've yet to do a water change, I plan on doing it on Wednesday (unless told otherwise).

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

My heart's breaking for him because he's such a sweet boy! So gentle, silly, and curious. I really hope I can fix this!

Attachments

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Hi,

So sorry your new betta boy is having issues!

I would bump his temp up one degree or so, if you can. I would start doing small water changes every other day - 25 to 30%, in order to keep his water pristine.

I would also recommend treating with aquarium salt. Just follow the instructions on the package for dosing the tank. It is usually not good to treat with aquarium salt for more than 2 weeks in a row, as it becomes ineffective after a while. If you treat with aquarium salt and do the water changes, you will need to keep track of how much water you change in order to dose him correctly with the aquarium salt. The only way to remove aquarium salt from the tank is through water changes, and you wouldn't want to over dose the aquarium salt.

You could also try adding some Indian almond leaves to the tank. The tannins will tint the water brown, but the tannins help to promote healing and have slight antibacterial and antifungal properties.

This is where I would start. If you don't see any improvement, and you can get some methylene blue, that is good for treating fungus and some bacterial issues. If you don't have access to that, you can try treating with hydrogen peroxide. I will have to dig up the instructions and dosage info for that as it's been a while since I have used hydrogen peroxide.

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sososo much for your response! I ordered the leaves as soon as I read this. They should be arriving soon, so once they arrive I'll do a water change and add them + the aquarium salt!

I also got a heater to put on in my room, which should help with the water temperature hopefully!

His fin has gotten worse, but he's strangely gotten livelier? He's still very curious and active, which is a relief.

I'll keep you posted, thank you again! I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Ok, great!

I am wishing you the best of luck! And yes, let me know if you see him getting better or worse.

The aquarium salt will help, too, if you can get some of that.

Oh, about the hydrogen peroxide, I have found the dosing instructions - you can do a fish dip with 1 ml per a gallon of water. I am talking about the 3% solution. I don't know what the strength of the HP is in Canada, but you can adjust the amount based on the strength. Use one gallon of tank water, put in the HP, and put the betta into the bath for 15 to 20 minutes. If he starts acting very stressed, take him out right away, and put him back in his tank. If he reacts well to it, then I would try a bath every 3 days or so, for a total of 3 baths.

Hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Sorry, I meant to add that you will need a separate, very clean container for the fish bath. And do not use more than 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per gallon. Too much will do the fish harm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello! Thank you for the advice.

I did regular water changes, added aquarium salt and indian almond leaves like you advised. I was about to do the bath you suggested, but as I was ordering it I found that there luckily wasn't any need for it (but I appreciate the advice nonetheless!)

Luckily, the white spot vanished! It's completely gone...

However, so is his fine. His fin deteriorated along with the white spot..

What's odd is that his behavior never seemed to have changed! He still eagerly greets me when I approach the tank, swims around in excitement for food, makes bubble nests, and has no problems swimming around his tank. In fact, after I added the Indian Almond leaves, he became even livelier, and his colours became even more vibrant!

Even though he seems a lot happier, I'm still worried about his missing fin. I've never heard of this before, so I'm not sure what's going on! The parameters are the same as last time, and I'm doing regular water changes. I'm glad that the white spot is gone, but I'm not sure what to do about the fin!

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
I would keep doing your water changes and keep the Indian almond leaves going. Hopefully, you will see some new fin growth soon.

What you want to look out for is any sign that there is something encroaching on his body. That would be body rot, and will need immediate attention - meaning he will need a good antibiotic to help fight bacterial infections. I don't want to worry you, just let you know what to look for in case something shows up. Where bettas are concerned, it's always wise to be prepared!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts