Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I took my lone female betta that I’ve had for about a year from a 3.5 gallon tank to a 5.5 gallon tank and added a danio as a tank mate. I felt like my betta was hiding a lot more than normal and showing signs of stress. I was also super paranoid about starting down the community tank lane. I did some research and contributed the stress to the new filter flow and rigged a soap dish under the filter output to slow the water current. Both fish seem to be happier, the danio is always swimming out in the open. I still can’t tell if my betta is still hiding more or if I’m just paranoid. The danio possibly nipped my betta in the first week during feeding time but it mostly just bounces off or swims around my betta. Is there anything I should be doing different? I still have my 2.5 gallon tank so if I needed to separate them I could.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
I'd give the danio back to the pet store. They need at minimum 10 gal tanks and 6 or more danio. That's because they are very active fish, and are a schooling species. They are also nippy little things and are likely to nip at your betta's tail.

"Tankmates Zebra danios are a peaceful fish that get along with most tankmates, however, they will nip fins of certain species of fish. Any fish with long flowing fins, such as angelfish, bettas, and guppies, are potential targets of the active zebra looking for something to do. Good potential tankmates may include barbs, corydoras catfish, similar-sized gouramis, loaches, and swordtails. "

https://www.thesprucepets.com/zebra-danio-1378473

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
That's if your danio is a zebra danio. If you have a celestial pearl danio those are more peaceful and shouldn't nip your bettas fins, BUT they do still need a school to feel secure, and a 10 gal tank.

·
Super Moderator
18,320 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

I would also rehome the Danio. From experience I can tell you they will nip anything and their frenetic activity can really stress out a Betta or other, slower fish.

A couple of options would be:

1. A Mystery Snail which come in lovely colors and also clean up excess food;

2. Six tiny Rasbora. I like Chili Rasbora. But, if your girl chases them you would have to put her back in the 3.5. You don't need to feed them separately but you might need to crush up a couple of Betta pellets.

3. Three African Dwarf Frogs. You would need a pipette or turkey baster to feed them as they are nearly blind; but, they are amusing to watch and sometimes you can even hear the males "sing." They make pellets especially for aquatic frogs and you can supplement with frozen Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp or "Mini" Bloodworms (actually Mosquito larva). Your girl will love them, too.

But, really, Betta are fine alone. To keep her amused and active, get her a ping pong ball and let her chase it; or a bottle cap. Remove after a couple of minutes.

If you can, post us some photos of your girl and let us know her name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's if your danio is a zebra danio. If you have a celestial pearl danio those are more peaceful and shouldn't nip your bettas fins, BUT they do still need a school to feel secure, and a 10 gal tank.
The danio was labeled as a Glo Danio but the more research I've done I think they are possibly some type of crossbreeding with zebra danios. Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I didn't just get a 10 gal tank. I think I'm in denial that I have become an aquarium person LOL. Down the rabbit hole for me :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

I would also rehome the Danio. From experience I can tell you they will nip anything and their frenetic activity can really stress out a Betta or other, slower fish.

A couple of options would be:

1. A Mystery Snail which come in lovely colors and also clean up excess food;

2. Six tiny Rasbora. I like Chili Rasbora. But, if your girl chases them you would have to put her back in the 3.5. You don't need to feed them separately but you might need to crush up a couple of Betta pellets.

3. Three African Dwarf Frogs. You would need a pipette or turkey baster to feed them as they are nearly blind; but, they are amusing to watch and sometimes you can even hear the males "sing." They make pellets especially for aquatic frogs and you can supplement with frozen Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp or "Mini" Bloodworms (actually Mosquito larva). Your girl will love them, too.

But, really, Betta are fine alone. To keep her amused and active, get her a ping pong ball and let her chase it; or a bottle cap. Remove after a couple of minutes.

If you can, post us some photos of your girl and let us know her name.
Thanks for the advice! I think after this experiment I will leave my girl a "lone wolf". I have already broken the news to my daughter and explained that we are all the friends/family Cutie (our betta) needs. I never expected to become so obsessed over a fish but here we are LOL. I attached a few pictures of my female Betta "Cutie" named by my 4 year old. Sorry I'm not the best photographer :frown2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
The danio was labeled as a Glo Danio but the more research I've done I think they are possibly some type of crossbreeding with zebra danios. Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I didn't just get a 10 gal tank. I think I'm in denial that I have become an aquarium person LOL. Down the rabbit hole for me :grin2:

From what I understand the Glo Danio are a type of genetically engineered zebra danio. After my own fiasco with zebra danio I try and spare others the headache LOL. Let's just say I thought all danio were the same and got zebra's instead of celestial pearl danio and plopped them in a 5 gal tank with my veil tail betta, and that it wasn't my brightest idea!

Well if you get another tank you can join the MTS (multiple tank syndrome) Club. We have lotsa tanks and share pictures. I myself started with 1 tank, and now have 5 including the one on my kitchen counter because I have nowhere else to put it.

Your girl is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing her picture, it sounds like she found herself a great family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I understand the Glo Danio are a type of genetically engineered zebra danio. After my own fiasco with zebra danio I try and spare others the headache LOL. Let's just say I thought all danio were the same and got zebra's instead of celestial pearl danio and plopped them in a 5 gal tank with my veil tail betta, and that it wasn't my brightest idea!

Well if you get another tank you can join the MTS (multiple tank syndrome) Club. We have lotsa tanks and share pictures. I myself started with 1 tank, and now have 5 including the one on my kitchen counter because I have nowhere else to put it.

Your girl is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing her picture, it sounds like she found herself a great family.
Why are you reading my mind LOL :surprise: My daughter has gotten at least semi-attached to the danio which she has named "Sara". The tank resides in her room and I'm thinking well I don't have a tank in my bedroom. So I could clear everything off the top of my dresser and get a 10 gal tank and some tank mates for "Sara" (danio).

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
Why are you reading my mind LOL :surprise: My daughter has gotten at least semi-attached to the danio which she has named "Sara". The tank resides in her room and I'm thinking well I don't have a tank in my bedroom. So I could clear everything off the top of my dresser and get a 10 gal tank and some tank mates for "Sara" (danio).

LOL, well fair warning those of us with MTS tend to be enablers and are of little help for those wanting to NOT get another tank. The 3 gal is on my kitchen counter, my 10 gal is on my dining room table. I justified the latter by reminding myself that I never use the kitchen table for eating on and even if I did it'd be nice to watch the betta in it.

If you go the dresser route just make sure it can hold at least 90 lbs without signs of breaking. Also do a leak test on the tank for at least a couple days. The last thing you want is 10 gallons of aquarium water getting absorbed by your clean clothes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
What a cute Betta! I bet she's really shiny in the light, I have a girl that's about the same color. She's almost 5 years old now, with good care I expect her to reach 6-7 years old since she's very healthy. I know a lot of new aquarium people think fish don't have long lives and I want to pop that bubble for as many as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts