Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What should I do for him?

Before anyone says anything: yes, I know buying from chain stores doesn't help all bettas in the long run but if I can help this little guy my debt to my previous betta will be repaid. Scroll to bottom for better description

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 but lowered to about 2 for ease
Does it have a filter? No - fish is too weak but I do have one
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 trying to slowly move up to 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, see filter reason but I also have one
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Variety of brands
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets and Frozen
Freeze-dried? Never
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? None yet - refused food

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? no idea
What percentage of water did you change? no idea will be changing out 30% daily
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? no substrate aside from sandy remains of previous occupant
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Stress Coat - Aqueon ad Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~5.0
pH: 7.1
Hardness (GH): 300
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Purchased this morning
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? N/A
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? N/A
Is your Betta still eating? Refuses to eat so far
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? MB dip initially before adding to the tank. Tank has StressCoat+
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? N/A
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 hours
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

SO WHY DID I BUY HIM:
I initially was picking up some pH Up for my tanks at a chain pet store and I noticed the bettas. I saw this little guy on the bottom of a very nasty cup gasping for air. He looks very small and undernourished in my opinion. Having just put down a previous - actual free- rescue due to a tumor on his gills that stopped him from living a good quality of life, this little dude tugged at my heart strings. He has no signs of a fungus, ich, or other external parasites. It looks like fin rot, SDB, and starvation. Since moving him to the hospital tank I had pre-cycled I dropped the water levels dramatically and left in a sponge from the filter, the heater, a leaf, a large cave so he can hide in it or lay on top of it, and a betta hammock. He has so far refused food but has hopped along the bottom of the tank since I brought him home. No signs of injury from what he's shown me. He is still breathing heavily on the bottom but I assume this is from ammonia poisoning from being in an unclean tiny cup for so long.

I plan to change his water daily to at least 30%, give him MB dips, and I have aquarium salt in my possession if it might help? Other I have some indian almond leaves. I wanted to see how he does in regular fresh water aside from the stress coat which I always use for new fish.

UPDATE:
Still breathing heavy but tank water is up to a solid 79 now working towards 80. I added in an aeration stone with a filter intake sponge around it and the air control valve nearly closed to increase the oxygen in the water for him. He's still laying on the bottom and its in the corner on the other side of his hide. Until he starts trying to swim, I'm not worried about the current as its at the top of the water.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Poor guy! I had one in similar shape. I did the same with lowered water level, frequent water changes, and lights off. I also used rooibos tea for tannins.

A few days and he did start to improve. Once he was swimming a bit more reliably, project feed the fish started. 3 NorthFin betta bits three times a day. A couple weeks and he was a whole new fish! Tank was filled and he swam like a champ.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor guy! I had one in similar shape. I did the same with lowered water level, frequent water changes, and lights off. I also used rooibos tea for tannins.

A few days and he did start to improve. Once he was swimming a bit more reliably, project feed the fish started. 3 NorthFin betta bits three times a day. A couple weeks and he was a whole new fish! Tank was filled and he swam like a champ.
Thanks for replying! That's awesome to hear!

How soon did you make the tannin tea? I've never had a fish this bad and I'm worried about the strain of yet another new water condition would bring him. Otherwise, he's still ignoring the food but he has started to try and swim a bit. He's currently laying behind the thermometer. Did yours take food immediately? Weight size he's almost a skeleton and I put a few micropellets near his mouth in case he had the strength.

·
Super Moderator
930 Posts
Tannins will make him feel better not worse so I would put them in as soon as you can. It’s common for them not to eat right away. You could try bloodworms or soaking the pellet in garlic juice. Good for you for trying to save him! Hopefully with some time he will perk up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Like Sarah said, tannins will help bring his stress levels down and feel a bit better. I added the tea right away and he always preferred water that was quite dark.

He ate sparingly for a few days but then came around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts